butyl caulk

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
margitchris
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Moonshadow
Boat Type: Seafarer 31 yawl

butyl caulk

Post by margitchris »

I'm getting ready to install new plastic ports and have bought butyl caulk for the purpose. Can butyl caulk be smoothed in a way similar to silicone caulk? I'd like to leave a fillet of caulk around the outside of the ports, but want it to look nice. I thought I would use masking tape around the perimeter of the port and the cabin sides, lay on and smooth the caulk on both surfaces before assembly, mount the port, then smooth the excess with a finger dipped in mineral spirits. Close?
Chris Miller
Last edited by margitchris on Mon May 10, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: butyl caulk

Post by Quetzalsailor »

The Butyl sealant I used many years ago for copper flashing was solved and cleaned up with paint thinner. I did not leave any showing, so no fillets. It was sold for gutter sealing, never hardens, is almost as miserable to use as 3M 5200.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: butyl caulk

Post by Figment »

Don't use it for a fillet. It will collect dust and other grime from the air for WEEKS and look like hell.
Mask well for ease of cleanup and leave the least possible amount showing.

The elastic properties of the material really obviate the need for a fillet anyway. It's not going to fail by cracking. If both surfaces are clean you'll have a good seal for as long as it matters.