Removing the ghost of vinyl graphics

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
jetboy52
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

Removing the ghost of vinyl graphics

Post by jetboy52 »

I purchased an Alberg 37 last fall and am changing the name. I removed the vinyl graphics for the old name but there is a ghost of the old name on both sides of the forward hull and transom. I am assuming there was less UV exposure where the graphics were and so the hull color (off white) is different under the graphics versus the rest of the hull. I used the cleaner ( Poli prep) that comes with the Poliglow system and that didn't solve the problem. (I am going to Poliglow the hull after I solve this problem). I also sanded with 600 grit and that didn't work. I know there are pastes that are used for buffing out auto finishes, would that work? Does anyone have a cure for this?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Removing the ghost of vinyl graphics

Post by Rachel »

Hi jetboy52, and welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us what the hull surface is that you are working with? That is, do you have original gelcoat, or paint - and if paint, what type?

If you are working with gelcoat, then like you say, it is most likely that what you have under the old name is pristine hull, and what you really "need" to wet-sand or rub out is the *rest* of the boat.

I'm surprised that 600-grit had no effect. Were you wet-sanding? Because I was going to suggest that you might be able to blend the areas by feathering out the edges a bit, starting with something like 600-800 and working up to something like 1000-1500 (of course try in the ol' inconspicuous area). A rubbing compound, such as made by Meguiars or 3M would also be a possibility, but if you aren't making a dent with 600-grit paper, I'm not sure they would be any more effective.

Rachel

PS: You know we would love to see photos of your Alberg :)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Go look at it in the dark...with a flashlight held to rake across the location of the lettering. You may, or may not, depending upon the time and weathering, be able to see the letters as slightly raised. That is unweathered where the vinyl was. If so, and maybe anyway, start by wetsanding with something a bit more aggressive than 600 and work back up through the numbers.

Automotive rubbing compound will be very good. I think the 'Gelcoat Cleaners' are a bit closer to snake oil; mine has fine grit and petroleum distillate in it. Means that the surface is slightly oiled after application for a better, shinier appearance immediately. My old, old can of Sears Auto Rubbing Compound is fine grit and water.

Think long and hard about the Poliglow. I've never been tempted, but friends complain about eventual yellowing and the pain of total removal.
jetboy52

Post by jetboy52 »

Thanks to all who have replied so far, the suggestions are very helpful. The surface of the hull is the original gelcoat. When I took the 600 grit sandpaper to it I started to see some slight yellowing which made me concerned that I was taking off too much gel coat, and it didn't make much of a dent in the ghost. I was hoping there might be some magic paste out there somewhere that would blend everything together.

I also was interested to hear about the Poliglow yellowing. I used to have a Pearson Vanguard and I used Poliglow on it and I was happy with how it worked, but the hull was dark blue so yellowing was not a factor. The Alberg has an off white hull so I may run into the yellowing problem.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

I'm curious to know what you've found to this point. This evening, using acetone, I removed the vinyl name Anna Bella from the transom of my Triton to have it replaced next week with the new name. Looking obliquely I see that the areas under the letters are shinier than the surrounding area. The letters protected the paint underneath. I'm not terribly concerned with "ghost" lettering. Its kind of an instance of "check it out from across the street, it'll look great".

If, however, you've found a polishing material that will bring the rest of the hull to the condition of the areas protected by the lettering I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks, Steve
jetboy52

Post by jetboy52 »

I removed vinyl graphics in three places on the boat, the transom, and forward on the hull on each side. For two of the three, some Poliprep ( a hull cleaner) and 600 grit sandpaper removed the ghost of the letters. In the third spot I applied the Poliprep, sanded with 600 grit, then tried automotive buffing compound and then more 600 grit. Only parts of some letters started to dissappear. One theory is that this side of the hull might have been on the sunny side of the previous owner's dock and that is why this particular spot was more difficult. I started to get a general yellowing where I was sanding even though most of the lettering ghost was still there. I assumed that I was going too deep into the gelcoat and that was what was causing the yellowing. So I admitted defeat and stopped there. I poliglowed the hull and it looks pretty good for a 1968. I can still see the ghost of the old name but for everyone else they probably won't notice. Plan "D" might be putting a teak board with the new name over this spot but that is way down on the "to do" list.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Paint a funky fat cove stripe.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Jetboy, you may find that sunlight and weathering will fix things with time.

My earlier comment re: fiberglass cleaner and snake oil was borne out last week. We have some cheepie plastic glasses that live on the boat. Over the 5 years we've had the glasses (and the boat), they've become progressively cloudier. I thought that I could actually feel some sort of deposit (AquaBon???), so I tried using the fiberglass cleaner as a rubbing compound. It seemed to remove the deposit, but nothing would take the oily mess off the glass! Not even twice through the dishwasher.

This project has slipped quite a bit lower on the priority list, but I'll try the auto rubbing compound before simply trashing them and making another trip to a dollar store.
sscoll
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Medora Jane
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #532 E.C.

Post by sscoll »

I used Meguiar's Plastx on a 7" buffing pad on my Milwaukee polisher prior to having the new name painted on. The old name is very definitely gone.
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

Sorry so late to the thread. If the old name was there a while, and on gel coat, you have two options:

#1 Time

#2 UV

But both need to work together so the real option is time+UV=blended

If they wore not there for long they can sometimes be buffed & blended but if they were, not so much..

Please do not attempt to sand this out as the gelcoat around it is considerably thinner and now a different color and you may go through the surrounding gelcoat and still not have a match. In a couple years you will barely notice it. The actual color of the gelcoat is different because the letters protected it from any UV light. It will take UV & time to equalize the surface colors.
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com