Need tips on separating the hull & deck

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Need tips on separating the hull & deck

Post by hriehl1 »

I have a Paceship P20 open daysailer in tough shape. The deck appears to be one piece, including the cuddy bulkhead and entire cockpit. I believe that hull needs extensive re-work (stringer and other structural items rebuilt) and the cockpit sole is spongy, meaning a re-core. The transom is probably shot too.

To get at the hull interior for a thorough inspection and to perform the work,, and to get at the underside of the sole for re-coring (where glasswork need only be strong, not pretty), I envision separating the hull and deck. They are glued or glassed (I'll find out when the rubrail comes off) with pop rivets on 8-inch centers.

My plan is as follows:
1. drop centerboard and disconnect centerboard cable.
2. Drill out hull-deck joint rivets
3. Sawzall the joint around the entire perimeter.

I'm hoping the deck will then lift right off the hull. Has anyone done this on a similar daysailer? How ugly a job is this likely to be? I'm on the fence whether this is even worth it... refurbing a boat that in prime condition still is only worth about $2,000. But the P20 has probably the largest cockpit ever in an open 20 footer, which appeals to me since we would use it at a lake house where often 6 or 7 people would want to go out for a 1-hour sail. My O'Day DaySailer holds 4, at most.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Need tips on separating the hull & deck

Post by Zach »

Personally I wouldn't seperate the hull from the deck to pull the liner, just cut it up in place if you want it gone.

As far as raw carnage and speed... The fastest way with a sawzall is to get some sheetrock cutting blades. They are 3 tooth per inch... Porter Cable makes them. 12478's
They cut fast, even after the teeth are worn smooth. It's more a shearing action than a cutting action. If they are to long, slice it to length with a cut off wheel.

For moments where destruction in a straight line is preferred, I use a skill saw and just go through a few carbide blades. Just set it almost all the way through the piece you want to cut and it won't score whatever is behind it. For difficult places a metal cut off wheel on an angle grinder is a great thing. If the disc binds up on you... switch over to a thicker metal or concrete grinding wheel and just plunge it.

However... If its anything like my old PY23... The hull to deck joint was pop rivited, and sheet metal screwed. External flange under the rub rail. destruction stuff is the wrong way to go. You'll find the hull to deck joint on the outside under the rub rail with sealant in between. Just cut some wooden wedges, and start knocking them in until the goo holding the deck to the hull starts to spread and keep walking around her till she lifts clear. A Fein with a saw blade or scraper would be nice, but a jig saw with a fine cutting blade would do an easy more controlled job than a sawzall waving around inside....

Anyway, good luck however you choose to go.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Re: Need tips on separating the hull & deck

Post by Mario G »

I did it on a Starwind 22 and think if you did remove the deck that it wouldn't help do to the ways they attach the interior liner on some boats.

I would just cut out the sections you want to work on and please post pictures.