Help!!

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
jeffwagnpete
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Frogman
Boat Type: Pearson Ariel

Help!!

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hello, I took some photos and I have some questions on this stuff.

The first photo is where the rudder attaches to and upon me sanding I found a crack in the paint, then I found this. Would I keep that piece in place, clean up the edges, then mix epoxy with milled fiber and apply, then apply matting, then cloth. Or is the matting first, then epoxy resin with milled fiber, then cloth?
SDC10807.JPG
SDC10807.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
The second I found also, this is the front, it appears this was caused by an impact of some sorts, it looks like they used a gelcoat or something. Would I grind all that white stuff off? Then mix epoxy with milled fiber and apply, then use matting, then cloth, or visa versa?
SDC10810.JPG
SDC10810.JPG (45.13 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
This 3rd photo is also under the water line, this appears to be a stress fracture, it is on the side of boat where the bulkhead that supports the cockpit was, it is on both sides like this, I read that these are common with fiberglass boats though. I would either lay matting, or buy a vaccum bag machine to do, what do you guys think?
SDC10806.JPG
SDC10806.JPG (46.31 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Help!!

Post by Zach »

Bigger picture sizes needed...
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hello Zach

Thanks for your reply, I hope these photos are easier to see. I know how to mix, but what I dont know is the steps to fix these issues. What in order and what material would you use and do to fix this?
Attachments
This is a stress fracture under the water line.  In what order would you do to reinforce this.  Would you just lay matting only, or what would your process be?
This is a stress fracture under the water line. In what order would you do to reinforce this. Would you just lay matting only, or what would your process be?
This had to be caused by an impact.  Would grind away all the white stuff off, then use matting.  What process would you go about to do this?
This had to be caused by an impact. Would grind away all the white stuff off, then use matting. What process would you go about to do this?
This is were the rudder attaches to, do you notice that piece on top?  What is your process to fix this?
This is were the rudder attaches to, do you notice that piece on top? What is your process to fix this?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hi Jeff,

I can't see that last photo clearly enough to say for sure, but I just wanted to mention that if your Ariel is outboard powered, then you might be seeing the factory filler piece. Apparently they made all the hulls - and rudders - with the cutouts (about half of the cut-out was in each piece) for the inboard models' propeller aperture. Then they just filled them in. So you would then have an approximately boomerang shaped cutout in both the deadwood and the rudder.

I'm just wondering if that's part of what is showing through?

Rachel
jeffwagnpete

Post by jeffwagnpete »

Hi Rachel,

That makes total sense, that has to be factory made. Thats gotta be a plug they used to plug the hole for an inboard motor. I'll just clean around the edges, because it is kind of loose, then fill and lay matting or cloth to strengthen. Yea, I found all this stuff from sanding the bottom for 2 days straight, I'm glad I discovered this stuff though, cause this boat is going to be at sea for quit some time. Thanks again!