Hot Glue Method

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Hot Glue Method

Post by mobilchuckje »

I did some searching and I see that folks here have discussed the "hot glue method" but I couldn't find a specific description of the process.

The other day I tried using some to tack support cleats for the seat on my dingy but wasn't sure how to really go about it. Do you leave a spot clear of epoxy adhesive and put a dot of hot glue there? Apply the hot glue to the hull and press the epoxied piece to it? Run a weld bead along an edge after putting the piece in place?

I'd be interested in learning more.

Thanks,
chuck.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Hot Glue Method

Post by Rachel »

I'm glad you posed this question, chuck. I've thought that it sounds like a great method, but I too wondered how folks have gone about it, and what tricks or tips they've learned to make it work (better).

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I love my hot glue gun--it's absolutely invaluable to me. I've been using one for 20 years, and I am sure I'd figure out how to proceed without one, but to me it sure makes life easier.

Usage varies, but typically I'd omit the "real" adhesive from a couple strategic spots on whatever I was securing and shoot some of the hot glue there to hold the piece while the epoxy cures. I choose the hot glue spots based on where the piece might hit the substrate most closely, to ensure a good bond with the hot glue--it isn't really gap-filling.

I also frequently use the hot glue gun to attach temporary blocking, etc. for help in aligning structures or whatever; the glue is strong enough that it's possible to clamp to the glued-on block as well. A quick knock with a hammer and the glued block releases when I'm done. Obviously I don't do this on finished surfaces.

Hot glue is really hot! Watch it.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
mobilchuckje
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TOFU
Boat Type: Islander 21

Post by mobilchuckje »

Super. Thanks.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I use hot glue to make patterns. Invaluable there as the set up time is seconds. I will use small dots of it to attach the pattern in place while I build it. I also use it for attaching some decorative pieces that don't need a super bond and may even need removal later on. I particularly like it for small decorative wire chases applied to bulkeads.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Another use, cut 1/8-1/4 luan or particle board or scrap ply or cardboardinto 4" strips, Length depends on the radius you are trying to pattern. Frame a moc bulkhead (using hot glue to fix the pieces), counter top, cabinet or whatever. Use a compass to scribe the curve of the hull, or whatever you are fitting.Cut to the line and you have a custom almost perfect fitting bulkhead or counter top or whatever.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I use hot glue in a similar way to David...

Though I rip 2 inch wide stuff of door skins or 1/8th inch ply... then use the fingers to go out and touch the hull. It takes a pretty tight radius for 2 points 2 inches apart not to describe the curve... Then go back and play connect the dots for tight stuff, or warp a batten for big stuff.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/