Best Source for recoring supplies

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
crufone
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Lorrie Rose
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Best Source for recoring supplies

Post by crufone »

Hello,
Does anyone have some additional ideas for where to purchase balsa coring, epoxy resins, fiberglass cloth and fillers/fairing coumpounds? Thank you.
Michael
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Best Source for recoring supplies

Post by Zach »

Where are you located?

The cheapest equation is to track down a small time boat builder that has commercial accounts and is willing to resell product to you.
A lot of small shops when times are slow have no problem doing it and making 5-10% for no real work...

Look up Paxton or Lewis Marine and see who has an account in your local area... Or get your hands on the books and stickers/conversion table to take the listed retail price and make it wholesale.

Basically west marine is 2.5 times wholesale on a lot of stuff. If you are near the water and don't mind putting your ear to the ground to find where the work boat guys buy their stuff... you can drop back to only double wholesale.

In North Carolina I'm really pleased with Barbours Marine Supply n Beaufort, NC. They sometimes beat Paxton and Lewis...

For just straight up resin, look at Eastern Burlap if you are on the east coast. They are up in Virginia...

Aside from that, bulk gets you better pricing. If you have the cash and space up front... just go ahead and buy your gloves, mixing buckets, squeedgees, rollers and all the other nitpicky stuff by the case. The little stuff adds up quick, but you can either spend 12 bucks for a box of a hundred gloves, or 65 for a case of a thousand. $1.75 for a mixing bucket... or get a hundred for 70.
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
stone
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by stone »

We have Paxton here in Wilmington and when I first got my account prices were pretty good on West, paints, thru hulls ,etc. They then changed their discount codes based on the amount you buy. Basically they are a rip off now. Do you have the same experience.
longislandsailor
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by longislandsailor »

I have used Dynagrout here in NY. dynagrout.com
I've bought resin, balsa core, fillers, tools, etc. from them
Small company. I don't remember the guy's name but he was very nice to deal with.
-Chris
Opie91
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Persistence
Boat Type: Tripp-Lentsch 29

Post by Opie91 »

Try LBI in Groton, CT. They have everything you could need....

http://www.lbifiberglass.com/CATEGORY/category.html
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I have been happy with LBI but I can stop by on my way home so convenience is a big factor. I have had instances where the epoxy remains tacky for longer than I like (under slightly reduced temperature situations) but otherwise, everything has been top quality.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.