I need to make a shower door

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
TQA
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: No Name Yet
Boat Type: No Boat Yet

I need to make a shower door

Post by TQA »

The previous owner removed the door so I need to make a new one. This shower will only be used very occaisionaly as a shower as the boat has another much larger shower and loo I anticipate the door will be open and pinned back to the left of the opening for most of its life.

I want the door to open outwards and be flat against the bulkhead.

OK I move the door trims or stops to the inside. That should be easy.

Now what do I make the door from. I would either like to match the wood effect formica on the existing bulkhead or have somethink like a cream parchment as this is used on some other doors.

Bear in mind that the side that will be on view most of the time is the one that will get wet when the shower is used so it needs to be waterproof.

I am thinking of something that would be dimensionally stable water resistant or proof and about 1/4 or 3/8 thick. I would then add some trim strips to build the edges up to about one inch thick.

Any ideas on a suitable material. If push comes to shove how about 1/4 ply with a vinyl wallpaper and a coat of polyurethane?

Any hints tips leads or suggestions much appreciated.

BTW I am in St Thomas and heading east then south.
Attachments
door 001a.jpg
tomwatt
Boat Name: Traditions
Boat Type: Sailstar (Bristol) Corsair 24

Re: I need to make a shower door

Post by tomwatt »

Maybe King Starboard? From what I read (haven't tried it so I can't swear) it sounds like it fits your circumstances.
Formerly owned Sailstar (Pre-Bristol) Corsair 24
Still own Old Town Millenium 160 kayak.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

If you do starboard, make sure you add a frame to one side to keep it from distorting. Great idea, but a lot of the ones I see warp over time at the top and bottom corners and are no longer flat. Make a template and use a router to machine it. Three cutting surfaces on the bit leave a cleaner finished cut than 2... Spiral is hit and miss on smoothness, sometimes they scallop. Either way you want to feed it about as fast as you can so the chips/waste takes the heat and not the part you care about. Go back and microbevel the edge with a 45 on each side... for a finished look. It'll be expensive, as you'll need a piece 3/4 or so thick not to sag over the height and width of the doorway, if you don't frame it in.

I'd go marine plywood, epoxy, and fiberglass... paying careful attention to fill the screw holes with epoxy and around the door hardware... but then again that fits the category of giving a man a hammer.

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
TQA
Boat Name: No Name Yet
Boat Type: No Boat Yet

Post by TQA »

tomwatt wrote:Maybe King Starboard? From what I read (haven't tried it so I can't swear) it sounds like it fits your circumstances.
Just had a look at the specs, that should do the trick nicely. Now I just need to find some in St Marten.

Thank you for the steer.