Porthole question - Islander 32

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
gbraun
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Varekai
Boat Type: Islander 32 Mk II

Porthole question - Islander 32

Post by gbraun »

I am starting a 1.5 year refit on my 1977 Islander 32 - I'm sure there will be many more posts and questions before Spring 2011.

My portholes are crazed and oxidized, need replacement. They are 1/4 plexiglass, in hard plastic frames which are secured with caulk. I have a source for my choice of replacement portholes, but must re-use the frames. It took over an hour to get the old caulk cut away enough to remove the first of 8 portholes today. Is there a product that anyone knows of to soften or dissolve what is apparently silicone caulk?

Thanks to all
George
Islander 32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Porthole question - Islander 32

Post by Rachel »

Hi George, and welcome to the forum! :)

Unfortunately, as you're finding, removing silicone is a bear. I don't think anyone has found a real cure-all. There have been lots of threads talking it over though, and I'm pretty sure some of them will discuss the various stabs at removal.

You'll find out why once you start reading, but if you use the search feature here and enter the words "silicone" and "devil" you'll dredge up a number of threads.

The main thing, I think, is to try to remove as much of it as possible before you attempt any sort of sanding or grinding. That's because it's easy to "grind" the silicone oil contamination (further) into the gelcoat.

I have seen some silicone removal products, but I haven't used them.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with it :(

We'd love to see photos of your boat, if you care to start a thread for her :)

Rachel
BS Smith
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: #82
Boat Type: LeComte NE38

Demon confusion?

Post by BS Smith »

At post time:

Silicone devil = five hits

Silicone evil = sixteen (more relevant) hits

BS
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ha, thanks for adding that.

I guess its obvious we're not too fond of it :)

Rachel
Desertmariner
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Desertmariner
Boat Type: Soverel 30

Post by Desertmariner »

Hi, I was thinking that a "multi tasker" tool might be helpful. Harbor frieight sells one really cheap. There are others that would vibrate like the devil in that tight sliver of a space.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

gbraun wrote: It took over an hour to get the old caulk cut away enough to remove the first of 8 portholes today. Is there a product that anyone knows of to soften or dissolve what is apparently silicone caulk?
That sounds about right. It is a boat after all. No project goes near as quickly as you would like. You've already received responses about the silicone, nothing more need be said on that subject. Now you have to thoroughly clean your port frames and the area around the openings in the cabin. That will likely take upwards of a couple/three hours each port. I don't mean to discourage you, but these steps have to be done well or your new ports will leak from the moment you install them.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.