Rudder head replacement question for a bristol 29

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ddsailor25
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Rudder head replacement question for a bristol 29

Post by ddsailor25 »

Ok, here is another project that I need to do, but have a problem with. The rudder head needs to be replaced. The problem is that when I took it apart and off the shaft I realized why there is a bolt going through the middle of it. The key was not cut on the center line of the shaft so they drilled the shaft to hold the head on and there is no key. Rig Rite sells replacement heads, but the only solution that I can see to this problem is to drill the new rudder head and bolt it on. This does leave a little play on the shaft. I was thinking about grinding down the key and leaving it a little high so when I clamp down the head it will bind down on the key a little taking up the play. Overall, this system has worked appartently for over 40 years, so I feel that it's safe. Just not the easiest to replace. Any sugestions?

Dave
1968 Bristol 29