Protecting unfinished fiberglass

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Protecting unfinished fiberglass

Post by rickal4884 »

I am in the process recovering and fairing sections of a deck and cabintop that are severly crazed using polyester resin. Since I am working outside what is the best method to protect the unfinished work prior to the application of primer? Should I be priming as I go along? TIA.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Protecting unfinished fiberglass

Post by Rachel »

Hi Rick,

How are you using polyester resin to fix the crazing? I don't mean to pry, but that's the first question that came to mind when I read your post.

On your question, I've been using epoxy for so long that I can't remember about polyester (guessing it's shy about UV like epoxy). Do you cover the work with a tarp between sessions?

Rachel
stone
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by stone »

It will be fine until you are finished. After I re-glassed my decks w/polyester resin I left parts unfinished for about a year before I got to painting it.
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by rickal4884 »

Rachel,

I have been grinding, then using fairing compound and finally govering with cloth, I have not been covering with a tarp each day.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, I was just wondering if you were using straight resin, without cloth. Carry on!
Desertmariner
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Desertmariner
Boat Type: Soverel 30

Post by Desertmariner »

Hi,
I'm new to board but been doing boat work for a while now.
I'm working with a crew of older guys restoring flying scots at a sailing center here in florida. Our local restoration guy had us sand down the crazing in the gelcoat on our first project and then coat with west system epoxy on the entire area. Then we topcoated the surface with Awlgrip. There was no additional cloth added. This is one of many boats used in what might be considered a rental fleet. They get used and abused. I'm curios to see how well it holds up. We've completed one and are moving forward on the second boat. On the second one we sanded the crazing and then built up with 4 coats Awlgrip 545. Top coat goes on soon. It should be refitted and back in service in a week or so.
Rich
Desertmariner
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Desertmariner
Boat Type: Soverel 30

Post by Desertmariner »

so i'm replyin to my post......
We top coated with awlcraft to our number two boat today witjh Awlcraft.....and it was a success in my opinon. there were some imperfections but i feel like they can be repaired. tomorrow we can mask for the non=skid and roll it on.What i like aobut spraying is that its a one day process compared to the Awlgrip 3 dayer. the advantage of the awlgrip rolling process is that you can repair as you go.....and also not get overspray on everything
What a great forum

Rich