Fairing compound vs. Glazing compound

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Snowfish3
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Snowfish
Boat Type: Allied Seabreeze

Fairing compound vs. Glazing compound

Post by Snowfish3 »

I am in the process of building a battery box out of plywood. I am going to line the inside with glass so as to hold any spilled liquid and to strengthen the box. My question is could I use DAP (glazing Compound) to fair the corners instead of fairing compound. I will be painting the outside with interlux bilge paint. I don’t usually go the “cheap” route but I can’t think of any reason that this would not work for this application and I don't have any fairing compound at home, thoughts?

Kurt
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Fairing compound vs. Glazing compound

Post by Figment »

I don't know if that will work or not, but I dig the boat name!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Snowfish3 wrote: My question is could I use DAP (glazing Compound) to fair the corners instead of fairing compound.
Are you considering using the glazing compound as a filet over which you will glass the interior of the box? If so I think it is a bad idea. You want the resin and hence glass to stick to the inside of the box. Using an oil based glazing putty will reject any bond at all. If I have misunderstood you, then please clarify.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Snowfish3
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Snowfish
Boat Type: Allied Seabreeze

Post by Snowfish3 »

Thanks for the reply. I knew that there was a reason. I will go after it with thickened epoxy.

Kurt