Repaired my deck - how do I cut the hole for my chainplate?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
kindofblue
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Barking Dog
Boat Type: Bristol 38.8

Repaired my deck - how do I cut the hole for my chainplate?

Post by kindofblue »

I just repaired by deck this weekend, which included making a 4x4 non-cored section for the chainplates. What is the best method and tools to re-cut the hole for the chainplate?
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Re: Repaired my deck - how do I cut the hole for my chainplate?

Post by Oscar »

If it was me it would be drilling with a bit the width of the required opening at the ends and as close together as possible in between. I would then remove the remaining material in between with a Dremmel on low RPM with a Zip bit in it. But I'm sure the pro's here will have the marine version of a mortising bit......
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

If it was me it would be drilling with a bit the width of the required opening at the ends and as close together as possible in between. I would then remove the remaining material in between with a Dremmel on low RPM with a Zip bit in it.
I did the exact thing just last week.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

That is basically how I have done it as well, though I use a jigsaw to connect the holes. Nothing fancy required.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Looks perfect for fein tool. Plunge cuts, very controllable.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
kindofblue
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Barking Dog
Boat Type: Bristol 38.8

Post by kindofblue »

I do have a Fein Multimaster. I'll plan on drilling the ends and connect using the multimaster.

I would think that I want to be very careful so that I only make this only big enough for the chainplate to just pass through. Start small and slowly make larger as needed.

Once the hole is cut, I think that I want to bevel the top skin around the hole so that I can get a nice gasket of butyl tape around the chainplate. For a round hole, I would use a countersink bit, but what should I use for an oval hole? Maybe a dremel with a sanding barrel bit on an angle and just freehand it carefully.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

would think that I want to be very careful so that I only make this only big enough for the chainplate to just pass through.
That's why they make big chainplate covers ;-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Ric in Richmond

Good old Boat in the last couple of months had an article where the author built up raised pads around the chainplate so that average water on deck never came close to entering the chainplate/ sealant area.

Basically he built molds in place on the deck and poured layers of epoxy then removed the molds and finish sanded and painted.

Simple idea that looks like it would keep 99% of water out.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Ric in Richmond wrote:Simple idea that looks like it would keep 99% of water out.
I like keeping 100% of the water out.

Its an interesting idea, but the bottom line is how well the covers are bedded. If they are bedded well, it doesn't matter if you raise the top of the opening. If you don't bed them properly, even the raised top won't keep all of the water out. Repelling water only works on houses, boats require water proof.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ric in Richmond

Didn't say you could skip bedding....Just that it was a neat idea.

For those of us with chainplates sitting in gutters it seems a simple, practical solution to the everyday dew and rain that no doubt will eventually get past the best bedded fittings as they age.
Ric Bergstrom

Archived old blog:

Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Basically he built molds in place on the deck and poured layers of epoxy then removed the molds and finish sanded and painted.
I had thought that it was ideal to use some glass as well. Could you use just epoxy and not have it fail in time?
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Ric in Richmond wrote:.... it seems a simple, practical solution to the everyday dew and rain that no doubt will eventually get past the best bedded fittings as they age.
Why will it no doubt get past the bedding? I'm just saying it shouldn't. And if it ever does it is time to rebed. I like redundancy, but raising the top of the hole out of the gutter is only a partial measure. If the chain plate leaks at all, fix it, don't just reduce it. I see no point in efforts that don't resolve problems, but merely reduce them.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

kindofblue wrote:I would think that I want to be very careful so that I only make this only big enough for the chainplate to just pass through. Start small and slowly make larger as needed.
I think a bit of extra space in the chainplate slots (in the deck) is actually a good thing, as it gives extra room for sealant beneath the covers. Within reason, of course; the slots shouldn't be much bigger, but neither should they be a "perfect", tight fit that you can barely slip the chainplates through. In any case, it's not a hard cut to make.

The bedding success of a chainplate comes mostly from the deck cover, as it's difficult to impossible to seal the slots effectively on their own, good deck covers, many of which have a formed, raised area that provides extra space for sealant right at the chainplate itself, make all the difference to the quality of the seal, as does ongoing maintenance.. Chainplates are dynamically loaded items and require frequent rebedding--I do mine every other season.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

This topic was discussed AD NAUSEUM over on Sailnet.... Basically the viewpoint was that you want a fairly loose slot for the chainplate b/c if it's tight what little sealant gets in there will only stretch a minimal amount when the chainplate is loaded. If you have a bit bigger gap and thus a bigger dimension of sealant, when it streches it won't exceed it's E value (elongation) and then fail. Don't have the time to find the thread but search Sailnet for rebedding...