Toe rails are beyond repair.

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
baysailer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Ms.Anne
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #662

Toe rails are beyond repair.

Post by baysailer »

I have recently purchased hull #662 and knew from the listing here on this forum that it would need toe rail replacement, after paper work is all in hand I want to replace the rails.Does anyone know where to purchase the wood material for this project at reasonable rates(if there is any such thing when it comes to a boat)as I am a pretty good wood worker and have quite a few tools just no knowledge of where to buy these materials as if it were a home that needed pine or spurce that right up my alley as it is on every corner (Home Depot,Lowes,etc)any help would be great.Thanks Baysailer
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Toe rails are beyond repair.

Post by Tim »

There's probably a hardwood supplier somewhere in your general area (wherever that is; you didn't say). They would be your best bet as a first stop, at least. If they don't have what you want, perhaps they'll have another suggestion.

There is also a number of online suppliers if you need to, though you run into shipping costs.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
baysailer
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Ms.Anne
Boat Type: Pearson Triton #662

Post by baysailer »

Tim, I am out of GLOUCESTER VA. lower part of the Chesapeake Bay western side,and the only place I have been able to find it is at the local marina's repair shops.Needless to say they want a small fortune as they are not in the lumber yard business there in the business to repair boats.(And I do understand they have to make money to) so I will keep on searching didn't know if anyone knew of a place off the top of their heads.Thanks Baysailer
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by jhenson »

Baysailor,

What species are you looking for? I assume this is a late model Triton with either mahogany or teak toerails. Right off the top of my head, there is Yukon lumber of Norfolk:

http://www.yukonlumber.com

They carry marine grade lumber. I can't speak to their prices, because I live in Northern Virginia. However, If you can drive to the D.C. area, I can give you a couple of other suppliers.

Joe
Sailordave
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Sailordave »

VIENNA HARDWOODS in Vienna VA... (N. VA) Yeah, it's a couple of hours from Gloucester, but you need to come up to DC and visit the museums anyway!
All things considered he has pretty decent prices and nice wood.

BTW, I used to live in Hayes and worked in Mathews County for a year. Would love to get back to the area.