Sizing Standing Rigging

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Sizing Standing Rigging

Post by rickal4884 »

I am going to be re-rigging two smaller sailboats, an O'Day Mariner and a Russell Vivacity. The Mariner was originally rigged with 1/8 inch wire and the Vivacity with 4mm. The 4mm is close to 5/32. Would anyone for see a problem with rigging them both with 5/32? This could be a substantial savings since I could purchase a roll of 5/32 to use for both boats.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

For the most part, the rigging sizes that was original to the boat is correct. Not really necessary to change it.

Going up one size can wreak havoc on pin sizes and it also can add more weight higher up which can ruin performance. As I recall from my books, a good rule of thumb: 1 LBS up there can equal to 10 LBS in the ballast. Now you know why hardcore racers obsessively shave weight off the mast. It means they can use less ballast and that leads to lighter weight all around.

Go and check Rigging Only for the rigging. They have good prices and good service. In my case, I think it cost $ 250 for all new standing rigging for my Sea Sprite 23. That included new turnbuckles. The sizes were 5/32" and 1/8"...

- Case