Laser Level Magic?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Dave, 397

Laser Level Magic?

Post by Dave, 397 »

Here's a question for Tim or anyone else with a bright idea on this...

I don't own a laser level, and the one available for me to use is a "real" one (read rather expensive) that I do not want to drag into a boat-shop environment if I can help it. I haven't bought my own cheapy-special one as I'm not sure how much use I will get out of it.

First, I was wondering how you (Tim) went about setting up the Laser for establishing the lines of the v-berth cleats a while back. I'd think that it was off a tripod, but then got to wondering how one would set one op in the relatively narrow and definitely curved area up there (especially with no sole.

The second one, and this shows my lack of imagination in a big way, I'll tell you...
Some of my deckskins, coachroof to be exact, came off pretty hard. Evened up the backsides as best I could to make up for lost material, and got as artistic as I could in grinding things around the edges for a reasonable level. The fairing process is going to be a bit of a challenge, especially with the nutty curves and the "scoop" along the length of it. I keep thinking that there has to be a slick way to establish what is high and what is low over a broad (and curved) span, but can't seem to picture it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as well as anyone's feelings on how much of a "must have" tool this is or is not in my shop.

Best,
Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Laser Level Magic?

Post by Tim »

Dave, 397 wrote: First, I was wondering how you (Tim) went about setting up the Laser for establishing the lines of the v-berth cleats a while back. I'd think that it was off a tripod, but then got to wondering how one would set one op in the relatively narrow and definitely curved area up there (especially with no sole.
Oops...you mean I couldn't just hold the level and figure it out by eye? Man, my berth supports must be way off. No wonder it seemed so wavy.

Just kidding, of course! :<)

I did use a tripod for holding the level. Setting it up was a bit of a trick given the narrow space available in the bilge up there, but with some fussing and a lot of adjusting I got it. Obviously, all the legs of the tripod are adjustable. Curved surfaces aren't a real problem, at least within the adjustment range of the tripod. The narrowness of the space in this case made it barely feasible; I had to set the level up on the tripod in the bilge, or else it would have been too high. I suppose I could have used the included ruler thingie to transfer the marks downward, but, frankly, I only thought of that now.

It is pretty cool when it is set up. There's always another way to get the same result, though, to be sure. For the $20 it cost, I figured it was a worthy addition to the shop. I'm sure it will have its uses, and I'm sure there will be plenty of times I don't bother. It was cheap enough to try out regardless.

Dave, 397 wrote:I keep thinking that there has to be a slick way to establish what is high and what is low over a broad (and curved) span, but can't seem to picture it.
It's tough to beat the best computer there is for this: your eye.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

The eye is true enough...and mine is reasonably calibrated...but I was hoping for an easy way to uh, delegate part of the work to my wife!

Dave
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Alas, there are no easy ways for any project! Aren't boats fun? (And you want a bigger one? You crazy, man! :<) )
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Dave, 397

Post by Dave, 397 »

Well, while I think my friend Jay has gone a bit over the mountain on this Ingrid sloop he's doing, Gaff-rigged with a topmast and a 22' boom(!), I gotta say that as I have watched him literally sort of Jam the thing together I have noted that it is a lot easier to work on bigger stuff...more room for slop in a sense as the acceptable tolerances do increase somewhat with the part.

And, like I say, while it was duly pointed out by one of my patron sage saints that there are no secrets in a small boat, I would truly rather have the secret whispered in my ear from within a compartment with a dorade vent right in it...than shouted in my ear from less than 2 feet away behind a curtain. A little too much like the morning SSS drill in basic training.

I don't really want a bigger boat, but I may need it. I am awaiting all manner of word from all of my patron sage saints at the moment. Oh boy.

Dave
(graduated, I see, to topside painter. Good thing too, I suck at varnishing. Maybe this is one of those lateral promotions, hunh...)