Wood & Metal Primer Under Filler Epoxy

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
ensign001
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Wood & Metal Primer Under Filler Epoxy

Post by ensign001 »

Before I fill and fair the wood stern post of my Ensign, I want to prime the wood and metal. Is there a wood and metal primer that I can use under the epoxy filling and fairing?

[/img]Image

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Tony
Pearson Ensign, #1 (rev. 1/26/09)
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

For the wood parts, it's hard to beat just straight epoxy, particularly if you intend to epoxy fill. I'd certainly not put anything between the wood and the epoxy filler BUT epoxy.

I assume the fitting is the rudder bottom fitting. Probably bronze. I'd epoxy that too, then apply the bottom paint. On our Meridian we also have a bronze shoe under the rudder. I epoxied it and it's been fine for three years now- but boy do we need a haulout-grin
Onrust1368
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by Onrust1368 »

when I did my Ensign, it looked pretty much like yours - I didn't use any primer at all - just epoxy-filled and faired, then barrier coat, then VC17 -
it worked great! - if you're doing the rudder, though, make sure it's completely dry and sealed so that NO water can get into it -