Blended?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)

Blended?

Post by Guest »

Though this one might seem like personal preference on the surface I could use some good old practical experience and reference. I was quite happy to discover that the cockpit coamings are teak but I was planning on adding a mahogany cap to the rail and now I'm second guessing whether or not the two woods will clash and one will subtract from the other. Any thoughts here? Tony G
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

My feeling is that teak and mahogany are very complimentary of each other ("My, teak, you look marvelous today". "Why thank you, mahogany. Your new finish is fabulous".)

Ow, it's Monday! ;<)

Seriously, the two woods tend to look very good together. When varnished, teak tends to be slightly more golden in color, while mahogany is often darker and more reddish. Still, the hues are in the same general range, and don't fight at all.

Teak and mahogany have been used together in boats for a long time. Often, the look is so similar that it leads to confusion among boatowners as to what they actually have. So use the two together, with confidence.

On Glissando, all the deck trim is mahogany except for the handrails on the cabin trunk, which are teak. At first glance, it's certainly not apparent that they are different woods, and most people never realize.

Tim
dasein668
Boateg
Boat Name: Dasein
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 668

Post by dasein668 »

Dasein has mixed teak and mahogany too. The toerail and new handrails are teak, but my new coamings are mahogany. Fear not. Looks great!