Chainplate knee and structure for backstay

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
David

Chainplate knee and structure for backstay

Post by David »

Can someone give me the details of how Triton backstay chainplates are attached?

Thanks in advance,

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

There's a solid wood knee glassed against the inside of the transom. The chainplate passes through the taffrail (the top portion of the chainplate is angled forward) and is bolted through the encapsulated wooden knee. You can just see the nuts on one side of the knee in this photo, and the chainplate sticking through the deck above. This is the best picture I could find on short notice. If you prefer, I can get a current photo of Glissando's chainplate installed--give me a day or two. (This is hull#100, shown on the day we removed the deck.)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David

Post by David »

Thanks Tim...

I was hoping for some pics! I am interested in the shape of the chainplate also. Currently the backstay for the Bristol thrubolts to the oustside of the transom. I want a better arrangement and I'm considering dual backstays as well. Not sure yet what I will do but I want to take the chainplate(s) inboard of the transom in any event.

David
Tim

Post by Tim »

Here's a photo of Glissando's backstay chainplate and knee, and a crappy, inaccurate drawing of what the chainplate shape looks like.

And the drawing...
David

Post by David »

Ahh...thanks Tim, I was wondering if the tang made a turn to align it vertical for the turnbuckle attachment---now I understand. That looks straightforward and very stout.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Going through a box of junk today, I stumbled onto the backstay chainplate from Triton #100. Here's a photo.

Hope this is still helpful.