Mast Wedge

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Scout

Mast Wedge

Post by Scout »

I was wondering if there is ever a reason not to wedge a mast at the deck of a keel stepped mast?

As a friend and I were repairing the deck around the mast opening, it dawned on me that there were never any wedges between the mast and the deck when we un-stepped the mast.

I have also read about sealant that you can pour around this area in place of wood wedges.

Any thoughts?
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Re: Mast Wedge

Post by catamount »

SCOUT wrote:I have also read about sealant that you can pour around this area in place of wood wedges.
Spartite

My boat came with it.

It seems like a good system to me.

You may still need a good boot to help keep the water out.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Scout

Post by Scout »

Thanks Tim,

Ouch though, two hundred bucks for that stuff, for such a small area. Hope I have enough left for the mizzen!
fusto
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Erebus
Boat Type: Apollo 16

Post by fusto »

Spartite goes a lot farther than you think.
Well, I guess that really depends on the distance from the mast to the partners...
I've used it a bunch of times in the yard. And for most of the boats I've used it on I've only needed the single kit.
The key (as with all things) is prep, prep, prep.
If its done right it makes a watertight seal, no boot needed.

In our yardstore I think we sell the single kit for about $100 and the double kit for $150.

Its one time use and you never need to do it again.
Totally worth it.

When I get around to re-stepping the mast on my Medalist I'm definitely going to use it.
Zachary
Adams, MA
catamount
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

fusto wrote: If its done right it makes a watertight seal, no boot needed.
Does that hold true if the mast gets pulled periodically (such as annually for winter storage)?

FWIW, when the riggers cut off the butt of my mast last year (from the gooseneck down) and spliced on a new butt section, they re-used the old Spartite collar.
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Mast Wedge

Post by Duncan »

SCOUT wrote:I have also read about sealant that you can pour around this area in place of wood wedges.

Any thoughts?
I thought the wedges were to locate the mast, and "tie it in" to the deck, not to seal the space?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
fusto
Master Varnisher

Post by fusto »

catamount wrote:Does that hold true if the mast gets pulled periodically (such as annually for winter storage)?
Its water tight by nature until the first time the mast is pulled. (which can be exciting!).
After that you need to put a little LifeSeal or something on the Spartite when you re-step. Nothing too tenacious.
I thought the wedges were to locate the mast, and "tie it in" to the deck, not to seal the space?
Correct. The Spartite does both.
Its a pourable two part polymer that you permanently install on your mast at the partners.

Zachary
Adams, MA
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

Favona has wedges that drop around the mast where it passes thru the deck. Standard on sailboats forever. The wedges have nothing to do with keeping water out of the boat. That's what the mast coat is for. If your mast is removed periodically, I would think the last thing you want to do is pour some sort of gee wiz sealant in around it. Yup, wedges and a proper coat are the way to go.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Here is a pic of the partner (if that is what it is called?). It was cracked in three places down to the deck so I ground out around the cracks and repaired with cloth and thickened epoxy.

fusto
Master Varnisher

Post by fusto »

keelbolts wrote:Yup, wedges and a proper coat are the way to go.
Mast wedges are great, as long as you have enough of them to support the mast in the partners, and they're installed correctly.
Otherwise you could potentially crack the partners with improper stress loading.
Zachary
Adams, MA
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by keelbolts »

I can't recall how many I have, but they are continuous around the mast. There's not more than a 1/16" to an 1/8" between them.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

SCOUT wrote:Here is a pic of the partner (if that is what it is called?).
From that picture, it appears there probably isn't a lot of clearance around the mast when it's installed. How much space do you have on each side of the mast?

With such a small space, it makes more sense how you got along without wedges, since there simply wasn't much room for the mast to move around inside the partners. Still, some slim wedges or shims to hold the mast in the center of the partners should certainly be in place when the mast is stepped.

Clearly, the fiberglass collar cracked because of uneven pressure from the spar over the years. Proper wedging, whether with wood or Spar-Tite, would better distribute the loading to all portions of the collar and prevent future damage. Use your mast boot as always.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Scout

Post by Scout »

Tim,
I try to take pictures of everything before I take it apart, but not the mast going thru the partner. My guess is about 1/16-1/8 all around. I will have to measure the mast and partner tomorrow when I am down there.

I am thinking Spar-Tite would sread the load around the collar better then wedges and better prevent cracks from forming again.