West system Says ... But what about the primer ?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

West system Says ... But what about the primer ?

Post by krissteyn »

Wonder what the pundits will say ?
I am busy with the prep of my osmotic blisters and am going to use West System to repair the "patches" (some are large). If I read up on all West Systems Reccomendations - I dont need a primer before using my standard Ablative Antifoul paint.
BUT
The locals in the marina assure me a primer must be used.

I was going to sand/wash/thoroughly prep the cured surface before the final 2 coats of antifoul - now I am wondering ???

Kris
Challenger 35 Ketch in Indiantown
dont worry - be happy !
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

When doing a large bottom job of the sort required to repair widespread blistering, you should seal the entire bottom with unthickened epoxy. Another alternative is to apply a manufactured epoxy barrier coat, which is applicable here since you're doing a major bottom job. Sealing the faired patches with plain resin helps increase the watertight integrity of the patches. Once the bottom is coated with several coats in this manner, wash with a Scotch Brite pad and water, lightly sand, and paint.

I'm not aware of any primers for bottom paint, and bottom paints don't require primers. Why not ask the locals what specific primer product they're talking about, and see what they say. I'm guessing they don't really have an answer.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

Tim wrote:Why not ask the locals what specific primer product they're talking about, and see what they say. I'm guessing they don't really have an answer.
Or maybe they'll say "epoxy barrier coat"

(which is different from WEST how?)
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The only advantage I can see to a 2-part epoxy barrier coat over straight 2-part epoxy resins is a longer and easier 'hot' recoat schedule. And also that bottom paint can be 'hot' coated over the barrier coat if within 9 hours (at least this is true for Interprotect 2000).

I doubt you will get a truly factual reply as to why and what primer you need either.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

we rolled on three hot coats of epoxy, using West Sys and their additive for barrier coating. 422 I think it is. Let that cure, sanded lightly and rolled on the bottom paint. It's been almost two years now and it's still holding fine.

Used Pettit ACP 60 , no primer.
krissteyn
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by krissteyn »

Well thanks for the input - well received...

I ended up using the same product my neighbour was using for a blister peel/restore job - the interlux 2000e barrier coat. What I liked was the ability to use it to seal and with additives use to fair the holes. I ended up with a fairly smooth bottom and covered it with 2 coats bottom paint .

The ability to thicken and paste on the 2000e made the job much easier and the ability to place the next coat over the previous without sanding was a blessing. 3 gallons of 2000e and the job was done !

thanx

kris

ps she floats too :<)
dont worry - be happy !