1978 Albin Ballad mast foot repair

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
dhersh880
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Type: 1978 Albin Ballad

1978 Albin Ballad mast foot repair

Post by dhersh880 »

I'm looking at an 1978 Albin Ballad
what would be a ballpark cost to replace the steel mast foot?
atomvoyager
Moderator | Revitalizer of Classics
Boat Name: Atom
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: 1978 Albin Ballad mast foot repair

Post by atomvoyager »

First I would check if it had the galvanized mast step in good condition using an endoscope as I showed in the video linked below at 9:00. If you had to repair it then there is info somewhere online (I don't recall exactly where, maybe an owners forum) if you want to tackle it yourself or use that info to show to someone who can do the work for you. If you needed to hire someone to tear everything out and rebuild it properly then it could cost around $3,000 at a guess but that could vary a lot depending on who does the work and exactly what approach they take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7NoUdSxLr0
dhersh880
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by dhersh880 »

Thank you so much
Can anyone recommend a surveyor in or near Buffalo NY
dhersh880
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

You may not find a surveyor recommendation here so I would ask for one at the local boatyards and yacht brokers. The surveyor probably is not familiar with the Ballad and its mast truss so I would send him the info at the link below or any other info you have and ask him if he will be able to check this area. Or educate yourself from online tutorials and do the entire boat survey yourself unless your insurance requires an accredited surveyor report.

http://www.albinballad.co.uk/how-tos/fi ... ast-truss/
dhersh880
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by dhersh880 »

Than you again
I found a surveyor and sent him the link. I appreciate the information He was not aware
I'm hoping to schedule the survey.
dhersh880
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by dhersh880 »

Thanks to all
I had the survey done last week following the video holes were drill approx. 2.5' to 3" drillings showed micro bloom of glass and void area shown was solid without void under truss. The surveyor felt that a repair probably had been made. He found no signs of damage to fiberglass around the mast step.
Comments?
atomvoyager

Post by atomvoyager »

It may have been repaired already or maybe it never required repair. If the inspection found no sign of a problem then should be safe to assume it is alright.