Rubrail

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
rickal4884
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Rubrail

Post by rickal4884 »

I need some recommendations as to the types of wood to use for a new rubrail. Teak is prohibitively expensive. I was thinking of IPE or Mahogany? Any other thoughts?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Rubrail

Post by Tim »

Mahogany is a nice choice as long as you're willing to keep it properly finished; it won't hold up as well as teak if neglected. But it looks great, and holds up well, under varnish.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Ipe is very hard, and I think, brittle. Fastenings would have to be mollycoddled and if it's really as brittle as I understand then it would shatter upon impact. (I saw a broken piece which did not look like a tough break.) Fine for decks and railings.

FD have spruce rubrails, as do canoes: light but a bit delicate and require finish.
I've seen ash, too: tough but require finish.

There's always a nice vinyl extrusion...with a snap-in strip of chrome.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

There's always a nice vinyl extrusion...with a snap-in strip of chrome.
<shudder>

Teak only hurts once. But yeah, its a big hurt these days.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I've used osage orange, (or hedge apple wood, ) for a tiller, handrails, and winch bases. It's a US species and not endangered. It is the most dense, most rot resistant, and strongest US wood available. It starts out bright yellow, but quickly turns a golden brown in the sun. I've seen osage fence posts in the ground 75 years that were still solid. Many hardwood dealers carry it. Glue joints should be cleaned with acetone first. Epoxy or recorcinal glues work well.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

okawbow, that is dead on. If you use dried osage (bois d'arc, hedge, horse apple all the same), be sure to drill before you screw or bolt and you may go through some cutting tools. This can be a very tough wood. I have fence posts on the farm that have been there for 100 years. I can't drive concrete nails (hardened steel) into it, they just bend. I have a bow made of osage about 15 years ago. If I drop it vertically on concrete from a height of about 1 foot, it rings like a piece of steel. Love that wood. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

There's a long row of Osage along a road that I drive my daughter to school on. In fall there is a bombardment of the fruits.....look like yellow tennis balls. Quite impressive. I've been planning on putting some rail fences in the yard. Wonder if anyone makes those in these parts...
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Oscar, I'm in Kanas and Farm and home stores generally stock hedge posts in varuety of sizes. Never seen rails though. Fence builders guard their sources vigorously, even thougt the trees are common. Farmers like to keep them for their own and neighbors use. The wood splits fairly easily but can be very tortuous, not straight. Dave
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.