Large enough radius to avoid hassles w/ cloth lifting?

This is the place to post your ideas, thoughts, questions and comments as relates to general boatbuilding and reconstruction techniques and procedures (i.e. recoring, epoxy, fiberglass, wood, etc.)
Tod Mills
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Large enough radius to avoid hassles w/ cloth lifting?

Post by Tod Mills »

Hello,

This is my first post to these forums.

I have a 1972 Tartan 26 (Tom Norton design), hull #30, that I bought a while back with the idea of fixing up for coastal cruising. I'm still a ways from retirement, so my thought is to have a spot in the cabin where I can work at a computer, combining a bit of sailing with work, although at the rate I'm going on this boat I may well be retired before she's launched! I'm still removing fittings from the boat and haven't started with any repairs or modifications.

Anyway, my question today is: what would be a comfortable fillet radius for cloth to avoid having to fight with the cloth wanting to lift (and getting bubbles under it)?

Thanks,

Tod

Tod Mills
Tartan 26 #30 project boat
--setting a new record for "World's Slowest Restoration"
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Welcome to the forum, Tod!

Depending on the material, you can get away with as small a radius as 1/4", but only for lightweight cloth. 3/8" is better as a minimum, if possible, and of course larger is better in all cases.

Heavier material, such as biax, requires correspondingly larger radii. You can have success with as small as 3/8", but 1/2" to 3/4" is usually a better benchmark as a minimum. Again, the more rounded the better.

Trying to laminate over a too-tight radius can be frustrating and ineffective. I have managed to get 15 oz. biax to lay over a roughly 1/4" radius, but it wasn't fun or easy. So the general rule is to plan on as large a radius as possible within the practical limitations of the individual project.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Tod Mills
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Thanks, Tim

Post by Tod Mills »

I can see I need to do some more research on materials. I'm not familiar with biaxial fiberglass. All I've ever known is mat, roving, and cloth and have only a small amount of experience with them, enough to know that I wouldn't want to try to make a living laying it up!. To get the boat where I want her to be, I'll have to do a little of it; no escaping it.

Of course, there are some soft spots in the deck to be repaired and some thru-hulls filled. I want no thru-hulls below or near the waterline. Right now there are two, a sink drain and an inboard engine intake. (cockpit drains are out the transom) I plan to convert to outboard power despite the loss of aesthetics and risk of prop lift-out in chop.

This boat's sheerline is a wee bit too flat to my eye, and worse, the "toerail" is very tiny. I've only had the boat out one time, a test sail to get a feel for her before bringing her home to the driveway, and during that test sail I decide a larger toerail would be a very good thing. While I'm at it, I figure I can give the boat a tad more sheer. I'd like to keep the exterior as low-maintenance as I can, so I'm thinking of a fiberglass-over-foam toerail. At this point I'm thinking of laminating some foam in place, sanding it to suit the height/shape/swoop that suits my eye, then glassing over it.

I am not fond of lifelines, despite their obvious practicality, so the large toerail plus good handholds are intended to replace them.

Thanks again for your input,

Tod
Tod Mills
Tartan 26 #30 project boat
--setting a new record for "World's Slowest Restoration"
dkall
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

If you vacuum bag it

Post by dkall »

Vacuum bagging the laminate will result in a tighter higher quality radius. Depend on how much you have to do and where it is at.
Dave-Westsail 42-Elysium