More than a few classics

Post your comments and thoughts about any and all classic sailboats here.
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

More than a few classics

Post by galleywench »

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to crew aboard Siren (S&S New York 32) for the Eggemoggin Reach Regatta at Woodenboat in Brooklin and was just blown away by what I saw. Words can't describe some of these boats; simply awe inspiring.
Link to some photos (hopefully it works)
https://picasaweb.google.com/matthewpat ... directlink
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Re: More than a few classics

Post by Paulus »

My son, while at the Maine Maritime Academy, helped restore Falcon (owned by "Bob and Pam") and Sapphire - both S&S NY 32 class yachts. While he was working on Sapphire, Olin Stephens stopped by the shop to look at one of his "girls"... It was not long after that, that he passed away at 100 years of age, in 2008. According to my son, he was still sharp as a tack and still knew every little detail of the boat (down to bare frame at the time).

Beautiful pictures - thanks for sharing.
Hulukupu
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

Great pictures, Galleywench - I was able to spend some time at the Brooklin Boatyard in Center Harbor in July and was very impressed by the fleet assembled at moorings. I wish I'd been there to see the regatta.
galleywench

Post by galleywench »

Paulus wrote:My son, while at the Maine Maritime Academy, helped restore Falcon (owned by "Bob and Pam") and Sapphire - both S&S NY 32 class yachts. While he was working on Sapphire, Olin Stephens stopped by the shop to look at one of his "girls"... It was not long after that, that he passed away at 100 years of age, in 2008. According to my son, he was still sharp as a tack and still knew every little detail of the boat (down to bare frame at the time).

Wow, small world. I know Bob, he's a good guy; in fact we spent a week sailing back from Bermuda 10 years ago on a Swan and we raced against Falcon (and Bob) this past weekend. I never had the opportunity to meet Olin, but Pete (owner of Siren) had Olin out on his boat and was also amazed at his mental acuity even at such an advanced age. Olin was one of the greats. His book "All This and Sailing Too" is a great read.

I was pleasantly surprised at how some of the photos came out. I am a terrible photographer and those were taken with my HTC Incredible phone camera. Of course, with those boats as the subject matter, even I can take a good shot.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

galleywench wrote:
Paulus wrote:My son, while at the Maine Maritime Academy, helped restore Falcon (owned by "Bob and Pam") and Sapphire - both S&S NY 32 class yachts. While he was working on Sapphire, Olin Stephens stopped by the shop to look at one of his "girls"... It was not long after that, that he passed away at 100 years of age, in 2008. According to my son, he was still sharp as a tack and still knew every little detail of the boat (down to bare frame at the time).

Wow, small world. I know Bob, he's a good guy; in fact we spent a week sailing back from Bermuda 10 years ago on a Swan and we raced against Falcon (and Bob) this past weekend. I never had the opportunity to meet Olin, but Pete (owner of Siren) had Olin out on his boat and was also amazed at his mental acuity even at such an advanced age. Olin was one of the greats. His book "All This and Sailing Too" is a great read.

I was pleasantly surprised at how some of the photos came out. I am a terrible photographer and those were taken with my HTC Incredible phone camera. Of course, with those boats as the subject matter, even I can take a good shot.
Me and the Admiral were guests at Bob & Pam's not that long ago and stayed at their place in Castine - they are great people. Bob is known to "recruit" crew for Falcon from innocent "boat gazers" on the City Dock - he can be very persuasive, haha.

I really like this shot:

galleywench

Post by galleywench »

I didn't know Bob resorted to such unorthodox techniques, but it doesn't surprise me. He is a character.
That's Isla as we chased her down like a dog. Fluky winds at the start allowed her to get a jump on us and we spent the rest of the race chasing. That shot was taken right after we rounded Halibut Rocks and popped the kite. I had a few moments to pull out my phone before the tactics (and my work on foredeck crew began). It got very exciting as we tried to pass to windward and she covered. At one point we were side by side and about 15 feet apart (It felt like I could have jumped onto her deck). I wish I could have gotten some pics of that, but I needed to have focus on the chute. Isla eventually failed to cover and allowed us to pass to leeward. We only beat her by 20 seconds and she beat us on corrected time (based on Siren win penalties in previous years). Falcon got hung up in the pack at the start and was never able to challenge.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731