$3000 for deck re-core

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

$3000 for deck re-core

Post by jhenson »

I was just reading some of the threads after returning home from my last airline trip. I saw a breakdown of the costs to repair hull #122. Specifically, the cost to re-core her decks was estimated to be about $3000. I guess I am wondering how many people have made the necessary repairs with a less than full deck re-core, or does one just assume these 45 year old boats will need all the core replaced.

Though I haven,t cut into the deck with a skill saw yet, I have taken numerous samples with a 1/4" drill bit from below decks and have found crisp dry shavings on the coach roof, and most of the foredeck. There are areas near the toe rail (especially the side decks) were the shavings from the drill bit are wet but still have a light color. And, there are areas near the toe rail that are wet and dark in color (obviously rotten). Though the middle of the foredeck is dry, it flexes readily and fails the hammer test for delamination from above.

Any thoughts or experiences with partial re-core would be appreciated. Not knowing anything personally about hull #122, I guess it sounds to me like there is an a general assumption that the the decks on a un-restored Triton will need a complete re-core. Maybe there is specific information on this hull to conclude so.

Would someone be able to take a wag at the breakdown on the expenses for a full re-core as well.

Also, as I contemplate the repair of my decks this spring, I envision using balsa for the core material. What is the thickness of the core material?

Thanks,

Joe Henson
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Joe,

I did a 70% re-core job on Triton #236 "Ca Ira". I don't think there is any reason to do the full thing if the rest of the core is good.

I used a circular saw set to 1/2" to cut the skin away into panels - two panels for each side of the boat. Removed the wet core with a chisel, West System the new core in place, West System the old skins back on, tab the cut seam edges back together with fiberglass tape and epoxy, belt sander, prime and paint.

When you re-build the core on the side decks you can also make the chainplate areas solid glass as it should have been done in the first place.

I think there are some pictures of me doing this work on the national triton website. Total cost was about $400 including paint. Lots of hours and lots of fiberglass dust though.

Good luck,

George
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

$400? really?

I have $600 in Jamestown reciepts at my elbow at the moment, and that doesn't account for whatever (can't remember) I spent on the core material. I haven't ordered primer or paint yet. I'm fairly certain I'll need to call Jamestown again yet for more biax and another tub of microballoons.

I'd ballpark it at $1000 material cost. Bear in mind that I'm doing a 90% recore.
George ( C&C 40 )
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by George ( C&C 40 ) »

Hi Guys,

I bought two gallons of west system, some adhesive silica filler, a bulk sheet of 10oz fabric from my boat yard, two sheets of 1/2" end grain balsa, some sandpaper, a quart of Brightside primer and a quart of Brightside paint. I'm not sure what the big issue is. It was a ton of work but the materials were not that expensive. 180 + 20 + 15 + 60 + 20 + 30 + 30 = $355 With misc. supplies thrown in my cost on this was $400.

George