PYHI Opening port

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

PYHI Opening port

Post by Skipper599 »

I have a problem with a leaking PYHI opening port-light. There are eight ports installed in my boat but only one is leaking.

I tend to think it's related to the unprecedented summer heat wave we are currently experiencing. The severe leak became obvious when we were washing the exterior of the cabin. The leak is between the actual plexi-glass insert and its frame, and NOT the sealing ring for the opening flange.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it?

My question: Is there a way to separate the two part plastic frame that encompasses the plexi-glass?

I see what might be plastic retention "studs" around the outer periphery face and a definite "parting" line around the outside edge. Can one just pry the inner and outer sections apart?

I don't want to just go trying to part these two sections and do additional damage if they are not meant to be parted. ... I'm hoping someone out there will have an answer for me.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: PYHI Opening port

Post by Skipper599 »

Well, nobody responded, so I decided to try to fix the problem myself. Here's what happened:- I contacted the company that took over PYHI and was told the frame was not serviceable and I should install a new port-light. Unfortunately, there was no port-light available as a direct replacement meaning, I would have to enlarge the "cut-out" and install an oversize port-light; this would mean I would have to change the one on the opposite side of of the cabin for symmetry. This was going to be EXPENSIVE!

By sheer luck, I applied a little hand pressure to the lens and found it would 'pop' over to one side of the retention slot. I then applied pressure in the opposite direction and found it would move the other way too. This was great because it proved there was sufficient space to apply some sealant into the retainer groove.

As the port-lights had been installed in the cabin for a number of years, there was a certain amount of dirt in the groove. I took a compressed air nozzle and blew it clear of any particles or contaminates from both sides. I purchased a fine 'needle like' syringe pack from LEE VALLEY TOOLS and loaded a syringe with 3M silicone sealant that I squeezed into one side of the frame. I pressed the lens back upon the sealant from the opposite side squeezing out some of the sealant I had just inserted. I cleaned the excess sealant off the lens and repeated the operation on the opposite side only this time, I did not press the lens back into the new sealant. I simply cleaned away any sealant that had found its way onto the lens and left it to cure.

24 hours later, I tried applying pressure to each side of the lens and decided it was well and truly sealed in position. I reinstalled the window into the exterior frame and sprayed it with water . . . there were no leaks. I'm satisfied with the "fix".
I have since checked the other seven (7) port-lights and found no leaks or movement of the lens in the frame. This $20 fix saved me not only the price of new port-lights, but also the labour intensive job to replace said parts.

It's amazing what one can do if one applies oneself to the task.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
pjesus
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Jet Lag
Boat Type: 1982 B-Jet

Re: PYHI Opening port

Post by pjesus »

Skipper599 wrote:It's amazing what one can do if one applies oneself to the task.
Yeah, many times I'm told by shop guys it can't be fixed, you have to buy new, etc... more often than not it results in me scratching my bald head for a few weeks and spending a few hours fixing stuff. Sometimes the end result is better than new.