Why?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Why?

Post by earlylight »

Why has such a huge percentage of the top contributors of the past stopped posting on this forum?
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Re: Why?

Post by galleywench »

It's sad isn't it... This site helped me solve so many problems along the way.
I'm always on the lookout for new posts, but haven't seen anything noteworthy of late.
I still use the site as a reference because there is a ton of good info in the threads and will post if I have specific questions, but most of my recore issues have been solved now. If there are others out there looking for help on these type of issues I'd be happy to respond if I can help. I feel like I should 'give back' to the community that helped me so much, but if no one asks...

I would love to see a resurgence of the site. I have been looking for a new home in the 'Fix It/maintenance' sections of Sailing Anarchy, Sailnet, and WoodenBoat, but often the topics are more geared toward newer boats (Sailing Anarchy, Sailnet). The WoodenBoat forum is great, but I have to limit my posts to mostly woodworking issues.

-matt
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by John, CD28 »

It has gone mighty quiet in here. I was hoping it was just a winter lull for this great message board.

John
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

galleywench wrote:It's sad isn't it... This site helped me solve so many problems along the way.
I'm always on the lookout for new posts, but haven't seen anything noteworthy of late.
I still use the site as a reference because there is a ton of good info in the threads and will post if I have specific questions, but most of my recore issues have been solved now. If there are others out there looking for help on these type of issues I'd be happy to respond if I can help. I feel like I should 'give back' to the community that helped me so much, but if no one asks...

I would love to see a resurgence of the site. I have been looking for a new home in the 'Fix It/maintenance' sections of Sailing Anarchy, Sailnet, and WoodenBoat, but often the topics are more geared toward newer boats (Sailing Anarchy, Sailnet). The WoodenBoat forum is great, but I have to limit my posts to mostly woodworking issues.

-matt

The forums at Sailboatowners.com are also very active. This is the best link for the most activity:

SBO All Forums All Discussions
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/fo ... .php?f=139

I also have a forum there called Musing With Maine Sail that is dedicated to all things "Fix It"...

Musings With Maine Sail
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/fo ... .php?f=135

I think the problem with this forum began when Tim passed it over and the new owners have been less active? I suspect a lot of folks came to this forum because of Tim....

Most questions posted in forums can apply to more than one boat type, so a dedicated forum to classic plastic you will find many questions apply to even not so classic plastic or even wood...
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
galleywench
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

Thanks mainesail. I'll check those forums out.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
John, CD28
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Tiara
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by John, CD28 »

Thanks again Mainsail, great stuff as always.

I checked your "Musings" link, and landed directly, and most timely, on a great battery switch discussion. Great timing, as I'm in the middle of swapping out the old Delco alternator on my Perkins 4-108 for a 120 amp Balmar (via the TAD serpentine belt kit).

Much Appreciated Again,
John Ring
CD36 Tiara
Sailing involves the courage to treasure adventure, and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The forum changed before Tim handed it off. Indeed I think it's WHY Tim handed it off.

I think 2008 had something to do with it as well. Bad economy, not a lot of people doing interesting boat projects, most shifted in to hunker down and ride it out "maintenance mode".
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Or maybe many finished reworking, and went sailing? I know that's why I don't come here all that often. And sadly, lately I haven't even been sailing much. It's been a CRAPPY winter!!!
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Lost my classic plastic (Mariner Ketch 31) in Superstorm Sandy... replaced with a 1975 CAL 34...

Not as much work to do on that one, thank God...

But I do check here just about every day.