Knee operated galley pump

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
tench745
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Knee operated galley pump

Post by tench745 »

I've got an O'day 25 I'm slowly setting up for coastal cruising. On my list of projects is replacing the galley's hand pump with something a little more convenient. The problem is, all bulkheads on this boat have a 1" or so molded flange in the liner that they bolt to. This flange would prevent running hoses for the Whale babyfoot pump I was looking at, and there's no room in the bilge for a whale tiptoe pump. So, I got to thinking, maybe I could install the tiptoe pump at about knee height on the cabinet front. I'm not sure how practical this would be, or how good of a pump the whale tiptoe pump is. I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights anyone has to offer.
www.seastepping.blogspot.com
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Knee operated galley pump

Post by Quetzalsailor »

The Whale toe pumps are perfectly good. They give a spurt on both strokes of the pedal; one stroke by the toe and the return stroke with internal springs.

You'd want to add a longer paddle to the toe lever to save wear and tear on your patella. And you'd probably want to make your paddle able to fold flat against the cabinet front to get it out of the way.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I think the valves are spring loaded and would not be offended by mounting the pump sideways. An important detail.
tench745
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by tench745 »

It sounds like you guys are thinking about the whale gusher pump. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1125818 I was referring to their flush-mount 'tiptoe' pump.http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=155530
I've seen a lot of information out there on the mk 2 and mk 3 gusher pumps, but haven't really heard anything about the tiptoe.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowline. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain
tench745
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by tench745 »

I called whale about my idea and they said they'd never heard of anyone mounting the pump horizontaly, but that it should work. They also advised directing the output upwards to prevent a possible siphon. Anyone else have any thoughts?