What's a reasonable offer?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

What's a reasonable offer?

Post by keelbolts »

I've been looking at a Harmony 31 that's been sitting on the hard in a yard I frequent. She's been there for the better part of 10 years. The owner got a new boat. If you're not familiar with the boat, she's slightly larger than a Trition, but smaller, below, than an Alberg 30. She shows every year of her time on the yard. Soft places on he deck. Sad teak. She has a Volve MD2A of unknown condition. She's definitely a project. The owner's talked about shipping her from VA to GA. I've considered offering no more than $1,000 for her. I figure it's going to cost $2-3k to ship it south. I'd post photos, but I'm sitting on my boat w/ nothing more than my phone. What do you guys think I should offer?
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: What's a reasonable offer?

Post by earlylight »

Wow, that's a really loaded question having not even seen any photos. Are there blister issues with the hull? Do you think the engine is salvageable? Is she structurally sound? Are there any rotted bulkheads? Do bulkheads need to be re-tabbed to the hull and deck? What is the condition of the rig and the sails? Just remember the rule of thumb.....Give the project your best estimate in both time and materials and then triple those figures.
Good luck!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Sorry. I know it's a hard question to answer w/out some photos. No blisters. Rig's OK. Sails are OK. Motor's an unknown. I guess it's a very general sort of question. What is a tired 50 year old, 30' fiberglass sailboat worth?

Tallystick
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Parts could be stripped and sold for way more than $1,000, not even including scrap value of the lead keel, aluminum masts, etc. However, some owners will sell boats very cheaply or even give them away just because they want someone to bring it back to life again.
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Thanks,
That's probably as good an answer as is possible w/out more info than I've provided.

Crazer
Topside Painter
Boat Name: Clio
Boat Type: Rhodes Swiftsure 33

Post by Crazer »

Tallystick wrote:Parts could be stripped and sold for way more than $1,000, not even including scrap value of the lead keel, aluminum masts, etc. However, some owners will sell boats very cheaply or even give them away just because they want someone to bring it back to life again.
Well, in theory, but the reality is that with the time involved in scrapping the boat, the effort of selling all the individual parts and the costs associated with each, you'll never make a serious profit doing that. Also, from what I've heard, lead is worth a lot less if it's not in ingots.

Having looked at a lot of boats in the condition you describe, the answer to your initial question is that in really depends on the owner. I bought my boat which is in similar, although somewhat better, condition for $4K. I overpaid, I know, but I was OK with that and still am. The owner was having a hard time parting with the boat, and I really wanted it and in the end, $4K for a 30 ft sailboat is a good deal no matter what. The boat you want will probably require significantly more investment than mine, especially with the suspect engine and soft deck. My gut instinct is that $1000 is a little low, but then again, as Tallystick said, some people are willing to let their boats go for very little just so that they can be restored and used again. So yeah, the answer is "it depends" :)
As eccentric as my boat.

Rhodes Swiftsure 33
SV Clio
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

Well, Think about this, Is the owner paying a storage fee on the boat? If so, does he owe any storage fee now. Who will be responsible for that? It's very difficult to price someone else's property. $1000.00 could be a lot more than he wants for the boat. After 10 years of doing nothing he may just want out from under it. I would feel the owner out before offering anything. It maybe a freebie! A 40 year old neglected engine is scrap metal I would think.
I've bought 10 project boats from free to $2500. I stay away from any project boat that I can't move myself. I had a factory finished Westsail 32 offer to me for $1500 that had sat about the same amount of time on the hard. Transportation and crane work is the deal breaker for me. My 1500 dollar boat is 5000 grand when it gets home and it still needs everything . , Hope it works for you. Good Luck
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

He should pay you!
Doug
1972 Ericson 27