Extending Rudder Shaft

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
bristol27
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Extending Rudder Shaft

Post by bristol27 »

I am hoping to do away with the rudder stuffing box.

My idea is to fiberglass in an extended rudder tube. The tube would run from the existing rudder shaft tube, to the underside of the cockpit and would be fully water-tight. I would like to make this modification, because it's the only reason I need to access the below cockpit area and I am hoping to fill the area below the cockpit with flotation foam. Further, no stuffing box is one less point of failure and leaks. Additionally, the entire tiller head base and rudder shaft would be greatly strengthened.

I've attached an image of my plan to this post. The red lines indicate where the shaft tube will be extended. (Please excuse the old image as well as being slightly out of focus; it was the best image I had at this time)

I don't really see why this plan wouldn't work. I'm wondering if I'm missing something. For example, perhaps the the stuffing box provides some kind of lubrication required for turning the rudder?
Attachments
Rudder Shaft Extension Idea
Rudder Shaft Extension Idea
http://www.bristol27.com <- A project site that catalogs rebuilding a classic fiberglass sailboat in preparation for circumnavigation.
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Re: Extending Rudder Shaft

Post by Carl-A259 »

As an amateur hobby restorer, I see no problem with your plan. I would however brace the cockpit sole with some type of structure to stiffen the area. You wouldn't want the tube to be a brace by itself. A bushing where it ( rudder shaft) enters the hull and at the top would be very helpful in removing excess "wobble" in the tiller. A polyurethene bushing or even PVC pipe would work nicely. I don't think water acts as a lubricant on the rudder shaft. On Pearson Ariels/ Tritons, the tube runs from the hull to the sole and on Electras it runs from the hull to the height of the cockpit seats.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I would definitely consider this mod. You can get the fiberglass tubing (FRP) from McMaster Carr in 5' lengths. You may also want to get some fiberglass sheet stock made of the same FRP to make a few braces. 12" X 12" X 1/4" would be more than enough. I had to add about 4" to my rudder tube to bring the tube proud of the cockpit deck when I re-cored the cockpit sole to keep it from happening again. Make sure you grease up the shaft real well.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
JohnS
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by JohnS »

Are you sure you want to pour foam around it and eliminate all access? Imagine running aground and somehow torquing the rudder/shaft and causing a leak. Might be good to be able to at least get down there and patch the tube you've built.