Washdown Pump Advice needed

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Washdown Pump Advice needed

Post by hriehl1 »

Hinterhoeller HR28
I know I need a washdown arrangement for the deck, primarily for cleaning muddy anchor rode and chain on (manual) retrieval. I am aware of the many washdown kits available with pressure-regulated diaphragm pumps providing garden hose like performance (adjustable, hi pressure but relatively low water volume).

Separately, I have already fashioned an emergency-portable 2000 GPH (centrifugal) bilge pump (and plug) set on the end of a 6-foot PVC pole intended for dipping the pump into a flooded cabin or over the side hooked onto a stanchion base. With its large 1-1/2" unrestricted (no nozzle) output hose and hi capacity, it'll deliver a whole lot of water but at only modest pressure, not a jet-stream.

The core question is how "valuable" is the higher pressure delivered by a purpose-built washdown pump & hose nozzle for various deck-usage scenarios? I'm not sure I see the need to shoot water 30 feet as provided in washdown designs. The popularity of diaphragm washdown designs probably speaks to their superiority in this application, but I thought I'd pose the question since the bilge-pump design probably delivers 6 or 8 times the volume of water; and that'll flush a whole lot of muck even at lower pressure.

If the emergency bilge-pump unit I've already built will suffice, I'll save some time, effort and (my favorite) money.

Thanks... Hank
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Washdown Pump Advice needed

Post by Hirilondë »

I use a bucket.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I used to use a bucket. Sue would drive out of the anchorage and I'd scoop up bucket after bucket. It got old after 15 years.

I bought West Marine's biggest Jabsco washdown pump and am happy with everything but the nifty-but-hard-to-actually-use quick release flush hose connection. I also do not use that silly little curly hose and the cheepie nozzle that the kits come with. I use a marine - so you know it's good - hose of the sort that flattens out for drainage and storing, and a gardener's nozzle of the sort Sue disdains to have in her gardens. All the power you can get is just about enough. Wait for the inevitable sale on these overpriced toys. It has a pressure switch and all, but I leave the thing off except when needed.
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

Thank You
Last night I ordered from Defender the kit (Johnson 5.2 GPM) that was recently high-rated in Practical Sailor.

However, I think I'll keep it on the shelf for now until I see how my jury-rigged hi-volume portable bilge pump works. It will save me some plumbing, wiring and effort until I'm convinced I really need the diaphragm pump delivery method. The bilge pump setup should be way easier than a bucket, and comparably or more effective.

But while we're discussing, could you elaborate on the flat hose you're referring to? That coiled hose looks to me like it would spring back the minute you relaxed your grip. And I presume you're also referring to a higher-quality garden-style nozzle than the plastic ones that ship with the kits... right?

I'll post a pic on the bilge pump rig when I'm done later today... I need to finish it off with an inline switch and secure the leads.

[Side Note: this weekend is Defender's annual Tent Sale with supposedly their best online prices of the year. I cross-shopped about 10 items against Jamestown and all but 1 were less at Defender this weekend... some WAY less; like the exact pump I bought at $150 versus $210].

Hank
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

I'm trying to picture your bilge-pump-wash-down set-up and how many hands it requires. I bought a used Jabsco pump last year but haven't installed it. I use a bucket and brush, but always seem challenged to keep the slime from sneaking down the scuppers. I'm hoping a broad fine high-pressure spray will help herd the scum over the sides. I like the prospect of having a hand free to grasp a brush or a hand-hold.
David
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

I started with a 1" PVC Tee piece and glued 3" extensions to the two opposing legs (the stub of one shows under the pump in the photo). The third leg of the Tee also got a stub glued to clear the pump for the elbow to vertical. To the three stub extensions I bolted the 2000 GPH pump's detachable baseplate (The plate had 3 pre-drilled holes in equalteral spacing for perfect alignment).

Then I glued 1" elbows and straight runs to create the dipper as shown; with the crook-loop at the top for hanging onto a stanchion base with the pump over the side. Power comes from butt-connected #12 AWG with an accessory plug end that'll reach one of the boat's 4 accesory receptacles from anywhere in the boat. The hose will be hardware-store 1.5" ID sump pump hose or similar.

Because this is just a centrifugal pump that must run continuously, I'll have no hose nozzle. If it is plugged-in, it'll be running (an inline switch is possible if one wants on-off convenience nearer the rig after its plugged in). The whole thing, with a $30 gently-used large capacity pump from eBay, was maybe $45.

I should add I considered plumbing the pump into the lower-end of the PVC dipper itself (capping one stub and plumbing into the other) which would have allowed the hose to take-off from the upper end. But with this 2000 GPH pump's 1.5" outlet I would have needed 1.5" PVC which was too bulky. The primary purpose of this rig is as a portable emergency hi-capacity pump. If it also serves as a washdown rig, so much the better. (A smaller capacity pump with 3/4" outlet plumbed into 3/4" ID PVC would be cheap and work nicely, and still might move enough water for low-pressure washdown purposes.)
big_pump.JPG
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Small Flojet washdown pump for $30. http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... ber=G18959