Shroud tension

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Shroud tension

Post by Paulus »

I am sure this is an ever re-occurring topic and it has been on my mind from so many different perspectives through the several different boats I have owned.

Yesterday I attended a presentation plus Q & A given by a local rigger and (for me) it was finally confirmed that it is okay to have the leeward shrouds "relax" when on a beat in brisk conditions.

"Relax" was described as clearly having no tension, but without actually dangling.

For what it's worth.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Re: Shroud tension

Post by CharlieJ »

That's how I've always set'em.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Shroud tension

Post by Hirilondë »

The only way to prevent leeward shrouds from relaxing would be to have all shrouds banjo tight. I can't think of a single good thing to say about doing that. I agree with the comments this guy made and mine do just that. It is even more important on wooden boats that no shroud be over tight, but excess strain is no good for any boat.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.