Sorry, It may be a Dumb One

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Sorry, It may be a Dumb One

Post by hriehl1 »

I am trying to get my running rigging prepped for launch (this summer, come hell or high water).

My boom slides in the mast track. The gooseneck has an underside block for a downhaul-purchase using a line up from a low eyestrap on the mast, thru the gooseneck-block then back down to a cleat on the mast. This serves the same purpose as a cunningham on a fixed-boom rig... right... tighten or loosen the mainsail luff?

I told you it may be dumb.... Thanks... Hank
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Re: Sorry, It may be a Dumb One

Post by okawbow »

That's right. You can adjust luff tension with the boom down haul. I usually loosen mine when I raise the mainsail. I haul the main up to the proper height, and then set the luff tension with the downhaul. I will sometimes loosen it on downwind runs or light air.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

exactly so
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I'been thinking about that comparison between pulling the gooseneck down and the function of a Cunningham since you first posted. I think that it's more complicated and is indeed different.

On our 1970 North East 38, the luff can be tensioned with the halliard winch and/or the two-part tackle pulling the gooseneck down. I'm quite sure that the winch has lots more mechanical advantage so I think that the tackle is better used to set the position of the gooseneck.

On a Finn, the halliard is latched at the masthead, thus setting the position of the head of the sail as well as reducing the mechanical dis-advantage of the combined tension in the luff adding to the tension of the halliard; a Finn's mast is remarkably thin and flexy. The Finn's boom is either fixed to the mast with very little vertical freedom and no horizontal freedom; the mast rotates. The Finn's sail shape is modified (flattened) by pulling the boom down with the vang and bending the mast. Additional flattening is done by pulling down on the Cunningham. There's enough advantage to pull a huge pucker into the sail along the boom while flattening the luff above.

On a Flying Dutchman, the halliard is tensioned by a multi-part tackle, the masthead maximum hoist is set by the rules. The gooseneck is set by the rules. The mast is not nearly so flexy as a Finn's but the bend is controlled somewhat more by adjustable lower shrouds. And both the vang and Cunningham have multi-part tackles.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

A cunningham is like a short cut. It is usually easier and faster to use than the down haul. It is easier to use when the sail if full and drawing but it does basically the same thing. Some boats have a flattening reef as well. It takes the shelf or serious belly out of the foot of the sail while having very little, almost nil sail area reduction. Used with the cunningham you get a really flat main.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

Originally, the Cunningham was designed as a rule beater. It allowed more tension on the luff, without extending the sail past the black band put on by the admeasurer. The down haul would pull the tack past that band, the Cunningham doesn't .

Invented by Briggs Cunningham in the 1950's
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Charlie has it exactly right. The sail can be built at maximum luff length with almost no luff tension and when the breeze picks up the luff can be tensioned using the cunningham without pulling the boom below the black band. This allows a maximum size luff on the mainsail under all conditions.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net