Part ID thru hull?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Part ID thru hull?

Post by Tallystick »

I'm not sure what this part is, or if it's a stock Triton part. Is this the raw water intake thru hull for the motor? If so, what fitting is used to connect the seacock, as the seacock that came with the boat that connects to the strainer doesn't screw into this piece.
100_0362.JPG
Tallystick

Re: Part ID thru hull?

Post by Tallystick »

Just had a look at the boat and the part in the above pic is way too big for the hole on the port side in front of the motor. The above part looks more like a packing box, which would mean the boat came with an extra. This hole has an intake scoop on the exterior of the hull, so I'm assuming it's for raw water intake. Below is a photo of the hole for raw water intake. It has a small plywood square around the hole, but there isn't much evidence of fastener holes or adhesive on the plywood pad.

Here is a photo of the two seacocks that came with the boat, but weren't mounted. The small seacock screws onto the water filter, so I'd have to think it's for the raw water intake.

Do I simply need to purchase a thru hull that fits this hole and the small seacock? What was the larger seacock used for on the Triton?
100_0363.JPG
100_0364.JPG
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

That part in your first post is definitely a shaft packing gland.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
steveagnew
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Artemis
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by steveagnew »

I might use the stuffing box again, but the thru-hulls, since not installed, I'd replace with new marelon thru-hulls and valves. No electrolysis for one thing.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Galvanic corrosion is rare on good quality bronze through hulls (Groco etc) as they are all of one metal (usually 85-5-5-5 bronze) and isolated. They should not be bonded.

Now the bronze prop on the stainless shaft - that is a different story. Manganese bronze used for props can be up to 39% zinc, not the 5% in the bronze used for through hulls.

Certainly nothing wrong with Marelon - don't mix marelon and bronze though.
Tallystick

Post by Tallystick »

Well I got the thru hull confusion sorted out. Turns out the thru hull had a piece of broken off pipe inside of it, and the strainer scoop on the hull exterior is also broken. Hamilton marine has a nice little reasonably priced bronze thru hull strainer scoop combo that looks like it will do the job.

Still not sure what the larger seacock in the above photo is used for? Anyone else have that component on their Triton?
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

My guess would be either an overboard head discharge seacock (usually 1.5 in hose diameter) or a sink drain seacock (these are usually either 1.25 or 1.5 inch hose diameter)
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Tallystick

Post by Tallystick »

There was another seacock for the head discharge that I removed, unseized, and replaced the corroded drain plug. The sink was directly connected to a fiberglass thru hull with no seacock. The interior is currently gutted and I'm about to start the interior carpentry. Have thought about relocating the galley to the bulkhead adjacent to the head, but haven't decided for sure. Sounds like I could reuse the extra seacock for a sink drain valve in any case.