Off Brand Inflatables?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Off Brand Inflatables?

Post by hriehl1 »

Has anybody had experience, or know first-hand about others' experiences with off-brand inflatable dinghies?

I've seen sites such as Coastal Inflatables, Sea Eagle and a couple others that seem to have boats contract manaufactured overseas and then sold here at notably lower prices than name brands like Mercury, Zodiac, Achilles et al.

http://www.coastalinflatables.com is just 10 miles from my home, so would be where I'd likely buy unless I heard horror stories.

I'm looking to acquire a 8+/- foot roll up slat-floor inflatable that'll be stowed most of the time. This site's prices are very attractive and since they're very close to me, I'd hope warranty service, if needed, will be easier than from afar.

Thanks Hank
Commuter Cruiser
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: sv Winterlude
Boat Type: 1985 Passport 37

Re: Off Brand Inflatables?

Post by Commuter Cruiser »

A quick glance tells me that they're constructed of PVC not hypalon. Hypalon is the material of choice for long lasting dinghies. I'd check to see if any of the off brand manufacturers are offering hypalon construction. If you won't be using it that much and it won't get the type of UV degrading that dinghies on boats cruising the Caribbean get, you might find that PVC is good enough and you don't need to spend the extra $$$ for hypalon. But I'd do the research -- I'd ask for references to contact someone who's owned the coastal brand for longer than a couple of years and see what they say. Even the lower price isn't insignificant! :)

Cheers! Jan
commutercruiser.com