Cradle to Trailer?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Cradle to Trailer?

Post by Peter »

I picked up a used trailer for the Ballad and am now noodling ways to move it from the cradle to the trailer.
The obvious choice would be a crane, but I haven't pursued that option yet as I have a rather intimidating driveway. I was lucky enough to find a boat hauler who took the challenge!

The big "how?" is to get it off the keel so I can slide the keel support under it. Somehow I have to support the boat by the hull while I slide it under. Would a set of six stands with screw jacks, chained together in pairs, do the trick? What experiences are out there in the Forum? As I'm used to doing crazy things I'm open to all ideas :-)
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Cradle to Trailer?

Post by Hirilondë »

Peter wrote: Would a set of six stands with screw jacks, chained together in pairs, do the trick? What experiences are out there in the Forum? As I'm used to doing crazy things I'm open to all ideas :-)
I lifted my boat off the blocking to paint that way. It will be a relatively long and tedious process of moving the poppets alternately to get the trailer under the boat. You might add a good bottle or screw jack and extra blocking to the gear as well.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

I had the opposite problem. How to remove a sailboat from a trailer in the driveway. I built a stern support out of 4x4's and 2x8's and incorporated sliding wedges to adjust the height. I backed the trailer up to the support and adjusted everything so that the keel was just touching the keel bed of the trailer. I then built a bow support, making it wide enough to enable the trailer to pass between the uprights. I used 2x 8's in an X setup to support the bow, again taking the weight of the boat off of the trailer. There was much use of bottle jacks to raise the trailer enough to get the keel high enough to slide off the keel support.
We eventually had to deflate the tires and dis-assemble the trailer uprights so the the trailer would clear the support frame. I have pictures of the completed set up on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/radicalcy/ ... 637526715/
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
Carl-A259
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Romper
Boat Type: Pearson Triton hull705

Post by Carl-A259 »

I keep looking at your picture trying to offer a suggestion but i need a little info, What does this boat weigh? How long is it? You may be able to get a large wrecker (tow truck) to help they work pretty cheap compared to a crane, they can easily lift 5000-7000 lb boat maybe larger, you will need 2 steel beams capable of keeping the sling from squeezing the boat hull for the wrecker to use to span the beam of the boat, don't let him lift without this, he will end up crushing the hull, Don't ask me how I know this!! This would be easier with a full keel but should also work for a fin
sail_fix
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Fresh Air
Boat Type: Olson 34

Post by sail_fix »

From a bit of searching on the WWW, it looks like that model weighs about 7500#.
I would imagine that a couple of cross beams with a lifting tackle on each side -- two straps -- and some come-alongs or chain hoists would raise it up so that the trailer could be rolled under it.
Many many years ago, I had to raise my 1600# sailboat off of its trailer to do some bottom maintenance at home. We did this with a single cross beam with 2X6 braces. The beam may have been a doubled 2X8, but I really do not recall accurately.
We used one tackle on each side -- mainsheet on one side and vang on the other...

Being well within the total limits of each tackle, each carrying half the load, it worked out fine, altho the "low stretch" lines stretched a bit as they took the full weight. (!)

Whatever you decide, do post up some pictures of the solution!

Happy holidays!
Peter

Post by Peter »

Sorry this is a little old, as I found the solution last Feb.
Anyway, I took the easy way out and the move went well. Boat has been sitting in it's enlarged shed ever since, and it sure is nice to work on in there.

Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Hello Peter;
Nice looking Ballad. Is it "ready to sail" or do you have work to do first? I see you finally got it transferred to the trailer ... the safe way. - - - Smart move! How little did they charge you? ... lol. just curious.

Did you sell the Vega? If so, did you sell locally? Just wondering ... I still have some Vega gear for sale ... I sold the sails but, still have Rigging, Turnbuckles, Spreaders, Sailcover, Vee-berth cushions etc. all in good condition.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Hi Bob,
The Ballad is a total restoration project, somewhat "from a bare hull" thing.
Check out my blog for a continuing restoration saga. There's a link to lots of pictures on the top right side of the page.
Still sailing the Vega and loving it. It's going onto the trailer and into the barn when the Ballad is splashed (no date set). I have to see which boat I like best and sell the other ... I suspect I know already ;-)
Craning the boat was about $400. Having it mobile and being able to wheel it under cover into the enlarged Stimson shed is great.

To date the interior woodwork is all done and installed, engine and related systems all in (I filled the fuel tank today) and plumbing done. Test fire of the installed engine is next, with wiring and upholstery the two major projects left to do inside. Outside is primed and a couple of colour coats done on the topsides. The good weather went south before the painting was finished so completion will be delayed until next spring. All the sails have been cleaned and overhauled. The mast arrives back from the riggers on Tuesday, minus the bend near the top, and with a new back stay. All the mast hardware has been rebuilt and is ready to install. The 4 Lewmar 40 two-speed winches are rebuilt, the two with bronze drums re-chromed. All the chromed bronze deck hardware is replated and all the stainless pieces have been polished.

So far the only jobs farmed out have been the crane lift, replating, and the mast straightening.

Peter
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30