ID this sailboat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

ID this sailboat

Post by ILikeRust »

Any idea what this is?

Yeah, I know - it's a sailboat on a trailer.

Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: ID this sailboat

Post by Rachel »

Looks like a Skipper 20.

Here is a club with photos:

http://www.islandcutter.com/skipper20/g ... index.html

And a couple of photos from that page:

(Not sure if the detail will show in the above photo, but there are rudder gudgeons on the transom for an outboard rudder which must not be installed at the moment.)
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

PS: Seeing that Skipper 20 brought up a funny memory. Back when I was shopping for my first sailboat, I had not done much ocean sailing (and information was not so freely available on the Internet). I saw one for sale in a magazine's classified section and called the fellow who owned it. We got to talking, and the subject of "seaworthiness" came up.

He assured me that the boat was quite "seaworthy" and that he had had it out in 12-foot waves, no problems at all. Well, that set my mind to reeling. TWELVE FOOT WAVES?! That boat?! I was completely boggled.

I didn't end up buying the boat (went for a different one instead), but it was only later that I found out where the "disconnect" was. Twelve-foot ocean waves are a whole different ballgame than twelve-foot Great Lakes waves would be. During that long-ago conversation I was imagining the only 12-foot waves I knew, which would be huge, squarish, short-period Great Lakes waves vs. long ocean swells.

Seems obvious now, but it made me smile remembering my mental image at the time.
avninal
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Viya
Boat Type: Jouet Triton

Post by avninal »

Greetings all. Skipper 20 looks like a lovely boat with great lines. May be very useful in fishing too. I was also considering to buy one very similiar to this as my first sailboat couple of years ago.
http://www.rotaboat.com/p-r-586-princes ... ng=english
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

The reason I asked, of course, is that the one pictured in my original message is for sale not too far from my house. The seller says he "doesn't no [sic] anything about boats" and "first $250 takes it."

Seems to me the trailer and boat would easily be worth $250, if only to clean up, fix up and flip. I did that with a little Ocean Yachts Islands 17 last year and made out OK.

But I also need a project like that about as much as I need another hole in my head. And if I brought that thing home, my wife might very well arrange that extra hole for me. She knows the combination to the gun safe and how to use what's in it.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

Any idea if it's still available? I need another boat to balance out my landscaping.......seriously.....If it's still around, I'd be interested.
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre
ILikeRust

Post by ILikeRust »

Haven't seen it since I posted the question way back when.

I pretty much check the "boats" section of Craig's list every day just to see if anything interesting pops up.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA