Identify this sailboat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Mike
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Identify this sailboat

Post by Mike »

I saw this sailboat while driving by it and I turned around and a friend who has a fancy phone took some photos of it for me. I love the lines, can anyone tell me what it is? Thank you for any info.
Attachments
unknownsailboat2.jpg
unknownsailboat1.jpg
uknownsailboat3.jpg
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Identify this sailboat

Post by Rachel »

It's a little hard to see the details (I understand why though), but... Victoria 18?

(By the way, the Victoria 18 did have some variation over the years, so if a detail or two don't match it may still be one.) (On the other hand, although even in these photos there are various rudder styles.... what's going on with the rudder in "your" boat? Is it obvious and I'm just not seeing it?) Or maybe it's something other than a Victoria 18...

Well, they're pretty, so why not look at more! :) I like to see variations on a theme.

Mike
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by Mike »

Wow that was a quick response. I would say that's what it is, although this one had a swing keel. They must have made them with swing keels at some point. I am not sure what was going on with the rudder, it either fell off or was removable. Anyways, I love the lines. Unfortunately it looked liked it needed some work, and the outbard hanging off of it really needs to go. Thank you for your response.
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Rachel, you should get together with the sailboatdata guy. You are an amazing resource!

LOVE that Victoria 18, and had never heard of it before. What a pretty little boat. I am going to look it up!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Mike wrote:Wow that was a quick response. I would say that's what it is, although this one had a swing keel. They must have made them with swing keels at some point....
I'll second that on the quick response, especially from a partial view of the boat!

I believe the Victoria is based on the McVay Minuet, and the later Minuets did have swing keels:
When McVay Yachts moved to Ontario from Nova Scotia, the new manager decided to make the minuet & bluenose models fit onto a trailer. He also wanted them to be able to sail in fresh water better.This is the reason for the change in design from the original fixed keel to the swing keel.

http://www.victoriayachts.com/vicsite/Desminue.html
Cape Dory 10 & 27