Poli Glow Experiences ??

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

Poli Glow Experiences ??

Post by hriehl1 »

While I know most of the craftsmen and women here probaly eschew the idea, does anyone have experience with Poli Glow as a hull treatment / restorer? Practical Sailor magazine gave it high marks for notable visual improvements at modest cost with easy prep and application.

I am not ready to spend time and money to paint, but a half-day to prep and apply $75 worth of Poli Glow sounds attractive.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: Poli Glow Experiences ??

Post by Duncan »

hriehl1 wrote:While I know most of the craftsmen and women here probaly eschew the idea, does anyone have experience with Poli Glow as a hull treatment / restorer? Practical Sailor magazine gave it high marks for notable visual improvements at modest cost with easy prep and application.

I am not ready to spend time and money to paint, but a half-day to prep and apply $75 worth of Poli Glow sounds attractive.
I applied PoliGlow to a previous boat that I ended up selling. It did look glossy and was easy to apply.

I wouldn't do it again, though, because:

1) It becomes an annual commitment
2) I have heard that it is difficult to remove
Cape Dory 10 & 27
jetboy52
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Miss Nettie
Boat Type: Alberg 37

Post by jetboy52 »

I have used Poli Glow on two old boats, a Pearson Vanguard and an Alberg 37 and I think it works great. The only knock I have heard on it is it is supposed to turn yellow over time but there is no hint of yellow on my Alberg's white hull after three years of use.
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

Thank You

Practical Sailor's articles have indicated several years (and counting) positive results without overcoating. They also indicated (also supported on Poli Glow's homepage) they market a Remover that reportedly works quite well.

I think I'll give it a try in the spring... Hank
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

Well, I put PoliGlow on the hull today and am pleased at the very significant aesthetic improvement.

My hull is Navy Blue gelcoat and the application took it from very drab moderate chalk to an attractive gloss / shine. I have used 2-part Interlux polyurethane on another boat and I'd say my 2-pass wash (Krud Kutter then Poli-Prep) plus 6-coats of PoliGlow achieve 70% of the gloss effect of a decent 2-part polyurethane application.

That's 70% of the benefit in 6 hours work in one day versus probably 20+ hours of work over 4 or 5 days to lay down 2 coats of 2-part primer and 2 2-part finish coats. For a boat with low value such as my 1968 Hinterhoeller HR28, I'm pleased.

Of course, the proof will be in the durability of this finish but for a low-value boat, I'm very pleased on Day One.
Attachments
poliglow.JPG
poliglow.JPG
radicalcy
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

While I haven't used Poli Glow, I have used Penetrol. I surmise it's very similar in application and removal. I used it on an off white hull that had dulled significantly. Compounding and waxing with a high speed buffer was unsucessful.
I applied the Penetrol with cotton diapers in very thin coats. Hand buffed between coats. In all applied three coats in a day on a 29 foot hull. After 4 years, it has begun to yellow a bit, and has worn thru where fenders have been rubbing.
I haven't done any upkeep on the finish, so I have to say it's been excellent. According to the can, it can be removed with any paint remover. I haven't tried, but will attempt it this year.
I've also used Penetrol on a Black Anodized mast. Results weren't as drastic, but it did put a shine on the mast and hide scratches.
A gallon of Penetrol (non marine) from Lowes costs about $20.00.
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre