Shrink wrap storage questions

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Shrink wrap storage questions

Post by Brodie »

So Starry Night is going to stay at the boatyard, mast up, and shrink wrapped for the winter. I've never had a boat stored this way - trying to figure out what to do about various things. Should I leave the hatches open to try and get some ventilation? I was hoping to refinish the companionway drop boards at home over the winter which would imply that the companionway would be open but wondering about the other hatches. What about lockers etc inside the boat? I am going to remove all the cushions and store those at home.

As far as the rig goes, I'm planning on getting the lazy jacks out of the way, and will probably run the halyards to the masthead on messenger lines. Any other tips or tricks people have that would be good for me to know about?

Boat is coming out Oct 14, probably wont get wrapped until early November so I can work on some stuff. Two more days off to sail before the season is done :-( Can't really complain, though, I sailed 50+ times this summer!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Shrink wrap storage questions

Post by Rachel »

Although I'm all for as many vents/fans, etc. as possible under shrink wrap, to maximize air flow and minimized damp and condensation, if it were my boat I would still treat the interior as if things were going to be damp. Meaning I would remove as much stuff as possible, leave berth locker tops open/ajar, try not to have anything contacting the inside of the hull, etc.

A good shrink wrap job *should* make it so that you can leave companionway-type hatches open, but I would probably not do that if I were going to be "out of town," just in case something happened. Or, I would leave them "cracked" but not wide open. I wouldn't hesitate to bring home companionway boards if you want to varnish them, especially if you are nearby, although one consideration is whether or not mice, etc. are a problem in your area.

I don't remember whether you have a keel- or deck- stepped mast, but especially if you have the latter (and I think it's always a good idea for boats stored on the hard) you might consider a garboard drain if you don't have one.

I would imagine people up there do a good shrink-wrapping job with plenty of structural support since you have snow and wind to shed.

I hope you've had a great first season with your new boat!

Rachel

PS: I mentioned this in the beginning, but lots of vents are important. A zippered door is really nice.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Thanks for the replies.... I live 10 min from the boatyard so I will definitely be able to check in on the boat over the winter. I was debating on the door but probably will do it as it would be nice to be able to get into the boat if I want to. The yard does a very good job of shrink wrapping, they have about 50 boats in the yard in the winter and all are either shrink wrapped or have Fairclough style covers - they wisely don't allow tarps. I think a Fairclough cover is probably in my future but considering I just ordered new sails and I really want an autopilot a nice boat cover is probably a few years away!

I had a great first season with the boat. Sailed over 50 times, with probably 2 more to go if the weather holds before the boat comes out next Friday. A few minor issues as would be expected, but everything worked. Except for staying on the boat on the mooring a few nights I didn't get to do any cruising, but that's thanks to my job which has its busy season in the summer - I never have weekends off and rarely have two days off in a row. Hopefully that will also change in the next couple of years!

I haven't posted many pics (although I took a ton) because I've been too busy either working or sailing, but now that things are calming down a bit I'll try and post some.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Sounds like you had a great season, even with the less-than-ideal job schedule.

Sounds like you have good shrink wrappers there and they will probably put on a nice cover with all the necessary goodies. I would put in a big vote for a door in the shrink wrap. On nice days you can open it for even more ventilation (which can be nice spring and fall on warm days).

Looking forward to some photos when you get a chance.

Rachel
Tallystick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Nostalgia
Boat Type: Pearson Triton Yawl

Post by Tallystick »

Would a container of dessicant be useful for absorbing moisture inside the cabin during storage, or is there just too much?
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Post by TritonSean »

My old girl lay under shrink wrap for two winters and one summer - needless to say she was nasty down below when I bought her.
I think that is because no ports or hatches were left open.
This winter I will leave some ventilation open and I also plan to remove the coamings etc.
so I will be working away as much as possible.

I'm going to have a door installed over the cockpit to help with this.
I was quoted 15.00 per foot because I still have my rig up.
.. but if you price up some two by four and frames and tarps etc..... I still think the shrink is the best option

Sean
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

Another question I meant to ask earlier....I've never stored a boat with the rig up. Guessing I should take some tension off the shrouds and backstay?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

I love it when someone else asks a question that was not on my immediate list, but that I've often wondered about.

Just for the record, my "guess" is that one might want to keep tension on to prevent shock loading if/when the rig moves around? Especially since the boat is no longer moving? But then maybe that doesn't need or want to be full tension (?).

I'll be reading with interest.

Rachel
TritonSean
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Jenny Marie, #308
Boat Type: 1963 Pearson Triton

Post by TritonSean »

Hmmm, good one.

I think I am going to leave mine alone at this point. I am new to this boat and this rig and it seems to have
been fine now for several years. I worry about slacking the rig and giving it more opportunity to move around
especially with these stepped on the deck rigs.

after next season I am definetly pulling the rig so I can give it a proper overhaul.
Brodie
Master Varnisher

Post by Brodie »

My rig is keel stepped, so it's not going anywhere, but I agree that I wouldn't want the rig moving around in a strong winter storm... I will probably slack off everything just a few turns and leave it at that - once the sailmaker measures the rig for new sails, of course!