Ginny track/fairleads

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Ginny track/fairleads

Post by windrose »

First the good news.... all the deck hardware from the cockpit forward has been removed, reams and reams of sandpaper have been applied and the high build primer is bringing new life to the badly crazed decks. Applied another coat yesterday and just sat there for about an hour saying out loud, "Damn, that looks good." You simply can not believe the forgiveness the third coat of primer gave the old decks.

Now the "not so good" news.... the ginny fairlead tracks are not really where I can remove them easily since they are in behind the icebox which has been reinsulated with spray foam... the starboard side is not really accessible either.

I was thinking of taking a hole saw and cutting in an access along the seat backs in the cockpit which would later be glassed over and hidden by the coamings when they are reinstalled...any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Ang
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay
The Good Goose
Skilled Systems Installer

Genoa tracks

Post by The Good Goose »

Ang

As I recall on my triton I was able to access mine by crawling into the lazerette. I am six four 220lbs. I also recall it was very difficult getting out. I think there was one on the icebox side that I had to access from the salon. There was access above the shelf that runs fore and aft along the settees. I remember dropping a wrench in there that was not retrieved until I removed the icebox. Maybe you can cut out some foam in that area and gain access to some of the bolts as well. I don't think a hole in the fiberglass to be covered with the wooden coaming is a bad idea but you might try access from the inside first. Good luck those bolts were some of my toughest opponets when I stripped my boat.

Brock
windrose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by windrose »

Brock, I had the same experience.... I crawled over in the locker easy enough and got myself all contorted easy enough only to realize that only with great difficulty was I going to be able to get myself back out... it was August and over 90*. My boat is way in the back of yard with other "project" boats (however, seems many folks have abondoned their projects...so often I can go for days and not run into anyone). I realized that nobody would be getting me out... at least not for a few days, until the smell got too bad...YIKES! Sweat and adrenlin are fine lubricants. HA! I don't think I will be getting back into the locker anytime soon. I guess I am opting more towards cutting into the seat backs.... they HAVE to come out....it is the next thing.... onward!

Got the broken off screws out of the portlight frames tonight and took a wire wheel to the frames....could not resist peeling the paper off of one side of the new smoked plexi windows to see how it is going to look in the bufffed up frames...YEAH, Baby!
s/v Wind-rose
Pearson Triton #215
West River, Chesapeake Bay