Pre-Primer?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Pre-Primer?

Post by galleywench »

With a little luck, I'm about 2-3 weeks out from finishing the fairing for my recore and I am starting to look at priming. I am planning on going with the Interlux 2 part product suite (PrimeKote followed by Perfection), but given that by the time I finish I'll be lucky if I can find 50+ temps for a 12 hour period. Since the Interlux data sheets specify that PrimeKote shouldn't be applied if temps are < 50, I am probably going to put it off until spring. However, I'd really like to see a uniform color on the decks for the first time in 2 years. I know it's a vanity thing, but I'll justify it by saying that I want to protect the decks from UV degredation even though the boat is under an enclosed shrink wrapped shed.

Are there any cold temp or quick dry primers out there that would be suitable as a base layer for PrimeKote?

Bottom line is that I'd like to get the decks covered, but not at the expense of durability.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
bigd14
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Re: Pre-Primer?

Post by bigd14 »

You are smart to heed the temperature advice for Primekot. I had major problems with temperature and paint (not Primekote, though) by trying to push my painting efforts too far into fall.

I would be inclined to wait to do any painting. If you are going to be doing a lot of work between the time you prime and the time you paint you will introduce a lot of contamination and dings into the surface which will probably require a cleaning, light sanding and re-coat of primer anyway. Take it from a guy who had to prime and paint his boat twice, that you want to avoid re-doing any of it if at all possible!

Good luck!

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
galleywench
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Re: Pre-Primer?

Post by galleywench »

Thanks, I guess that's what I needed to hear. I'd heard some rumors of primer failing because of cold temps but was hoping someone would chime in with concrete experience on the matter. Now I won't worry about rushing through the fairing stage. If I get a reasonable weather window and it happens, great; otherwise I won't push it just for vanity's sake.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net