Should I replace my main battery switch

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
ChrisMKingBerkeley
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Puffin
Boat Type: Alden 44

Should I replace my main battery switch

Post by ChrisMKingBerkeley »

Hi,

I sail a 1978 Alden 44 on the San Francisco Bay. My main battery switch is flaky and needs to be replaced. I'm mulling over what to replace it with.

The original is a Kraus & Naimer mounted in a Marinetec panel. Unfortunately there is no model number on the switch. These switches seem to be available but are rare and I think expensive. These switches are mostly used for industrial controls. I did find one supplier on the web but they don't quote prices online. I suspect this means the prices are in the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" range.

Common battery switches seem to be sealed and rated in the 200 - 300 Amp range. Kraus & Naimer switches are open and the quoted current capacity is way lower like 40 amps (Could this be for 110 AC vs. 12v DC).

So I'm wondering if I should modify my electrical panel to mount a modern battery switch (like a Blue Sea) or try and figure out the right Kraus & Naimer.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Chris
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Should I replace my main battery switch

Post by Rachel »

I can't contribute anything specific to your query, but I just wanted to say "Welcome to the forum!" since I saw this was your first post.