Best way to pass an exhaust hose through a bulkhead

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Best way to pass an exhaust hose through a bulkhead

Post by falcon »

What is the suggested way to pass a 2 inch Vetus exhaust hose through a plywood baulkhead? Should I cut an oversize hole and caulk with something like "lifecaulk" to reduce chaffing? Is this even neccessary?
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
falcon
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Re: Best way to pass an exhaust hose through a bulkhead

Post by falcon »

Hi Glen,

Thats exactky what I am doing, passing the exhaust hose through the lazerette bulkhead enroute to the goosenech mounted on the inside of the transom.. I just wasnt sure if I needed to worry about chaffing. I appreciate the input.
Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer "work in progress"
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Best way to pass an exhaust hose through a bulkhead

Post by Hirilondë »

falcon wrote:Hi Glen,
I just wasnt sure if I needed to worry about chaffing.
I would worry. After drilling this over sized hole it wouldn't hurt to sand the sharp corner on either side of the bulkhead to make the entire opening smooth and rounded.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.