More Electrics

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
hriehl1
Topside Painter
Boat Name: s/v Mooney Hahn
Boat Type: '68 DS I; '68 Hinterhoeller 28

More Electrics

Post by hriehl1 »

1968 Hinterhoeller HR 28

As I dig deeper, I'm beginning to consider rewiring the entire boat (and moving the panels to a more accessable and protected location (they're currently right under the companionway).

All circuits work, but the surveyor called it "marginal", if he were doing an insurance survey he would (barely) pass it, but if it were his boat he'd re-do it. Much of the wiring is original (1968) but it is not a wire nut and electrician tape installation. The unions are all with crimped-on rings at terminal blocks and spade connectors at the panels. But no heat shrink was used and some (maybe 25%) connectors show varying amounts of green corrosion. Original wire is stranded but not tinned, later (add-on) wiring used proper (size and spec) marine boat cable. The wires are not labeled and the organization of the bundles and runs is less than neat but its not a rat's nest either. I could (and would) better-organize, bundle and label what's there if I kept it.

I am most troubled by the OEM house light circuit... from the panel (7.5 amp fuse) to a midship terminal block it is proper 14 AWG, but then splits out into 6 sub-circuits to individual lights with what looks like lamp cord. The longest sub-circuit run is perhaps 6 feet and each light bulb is 10 watts (< 1 amp). It all works and carries very little current.. but I'm wary of what looks like lamp cord.

So... I'd appreciate thoughts on whether to re-wire or just "clean-up" the existing situation... and I would especially appreciate your rationale for such advice.

If I just clean-up, can slightly corroded crimped-on ring connectors be revived, or would you suggest snipping them out and splicing-in new?

If I re-wire, do you suggest each circuit's negative run back to the panel being its own individual wire, or is it viable to have something of a negative trunk / bus? I'm thinking of two larger-gauge runs down port and starboard with 2 or 3 terminal block collection spots along the way to "pick up" negative leads from individual devices. Thoughts?

Has anyone bought from http://gregsmarinewiresupply.com ? Their prices are almost suspiciously low for what they say is made in USA marine-spec wire (though the brand is not disclosed).

Many Thanks
Ryan
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: More Electrics

Post by Ryan »

You find lots of opinions on how far to take this project, but I can unequivocally say that in every instance I have completely rewired a boat, I have NEVER regretted the time, money or effort involved. If you have the sort of personality that will always wonder about the parts of the system you didn't replace, then save your sanity now and rewire it all. I bet you will find that a total rewire actually takes less time than a patch job since you don't need to waste anytime trying to decipher what the previous owner(s) did. Replace it with wire good quality materials and workmanship, and you will never worry about it again.

Typically, bare copper wire will corrode much farther down the length of the wire run than you would expect, and in my opinion, splicing new ends onto old wires is throwing good money after bad.

For most installations on a 28' boat, I would just run the negatives back to the main panel. It makes troubleshooting simpler, gives you flexibility later for changes and/or additions that aren't obvious now, and in the end the extra wire will likely be cheaper than the distribution blocks.

I have never personally used Gregs, but know people who have and they were happy with the product and price. I have used Bestboatwire several times in the past and never had an issue. I'm not sure what brand of wire Greg's carries, but BBW has been Pacer marine for all my orders.

Ryan
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

I was leaning that way and your reply tipped me over the edge. I ordered my wire and connectors from Greg's and it was probably 2/3 the price the comparable items would have been at jamestown (my usual provider). Greg shipped an hour after I submitted the order so no complaints on the service.

With the limited time I can devote to refurbing the boat it won't get launched this season anyway. Given that it will be at my home another 10 months, I should get everything as perfect as possible so when launched next sprint, there are no lurking gremlins.

Thank You
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I would run new wires. On a 28' boat the runs aren't long so 14/2 would be fine for the lighting runs. To make it easier re the lighting ahead of the main cabin you could run 14/2 or 12/2 to terminal blocks and from there to the loads. Terminal blocks from Blue Seas or similar are very inexpensive.

As far as Greg's the prices are good - better than GenuineDealz even but not quite as low as I pay in Canada. It seems to be good product as far as I can tell.
hriehl1
Topside Painter

Post by hriehl1 »

I place an order with Greg's at 4 PM Thursday and received it in New Hampshire on Saturday; excellent service.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

"As far as Greg's the prices are good - better than GenuineDealz even but not quite as low as I pay in Canada. It seems to be good product as far as I can tell."[/quote]

Sooo, where are you getting your stuff in Canada? I'm always looking for good suppliers on this side of the border.
Thanks,
David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

ECS - Electrical Cable Supply Ltd. http://www.ecswire.com/products/
They are a wholesaler but will do cash sales if over $50 - easy if you're buying much. They are all across Canada.
Shoalcove

Post by Shoalcove »

Thanks, I'll check them out!
Fair winds, David
7 1/2' Nutshell Pram
Spindrift 11N
Perry designed CheoyLee35