Stainless hardware on aluminum spars: nylon washers?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Stainless hardware on aluminum spars: nylon washers?

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

I'm doing a minor rig maintenance project which includes replacing masthead bolts that keep tangs & related fittings attached to the mast. There is some clear, albeit minor, corrosion where stainless washers, nuts, and bolt heads meet the aluminum mast. I'm thinking about putting nylon washers under the stainless in these areas, so the only future corrosion should be where the bolts bear down on the holes in the mast.
Does this seem like a good idea?
The only problem I foresee is that nylon washers are (obviously) not as strong as steel, but I don't see a need to tighten these bolts drum-tight anyway.
On a related note, anyone have a clear favorite lube/sealant for stainless screws in aluminum spars?
How about turnbuckle lube, so they don't seize up?
I've heard of people using waterproof grease, lanolin, vaseline, mclube...would like to hear your experiences.
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Stainless hardware on aluminum spars: nylon washers?

Post by Rachel »

When I replaced all the hardware and fasteners on an aluminum boom (had it all off for painting), I used two different things:

1) For fasteners, I used used Tef-Gel, which is a Vaseline-consistency product meant for this type of thing by Ultra Safety Systems (http://www.tefgel.com). I wonder if something like Lanacote would melt and run out (although having said that I have used Lanacote on other rigging parts (such as for lubing turnbuckles) but just not as an isolating compound --- it may be fine for all I know; I'm just wondering aloud).

2) Instead of backing washers on hardware, I got some sheets of plastic (they were plastic school-type folders) and cut them to shape to fit behind various pieces of hardware on an aluminum boom. The plastic was fairly thin...maybe twice as thick as a plastic milk jug (which I have also heard recommended - same goes for electrical tape). I think it was a good concept although if I were doing it again now I would look for something similar but with UV resistance (maybe a sheet good from McMaster Carr...).
FloatingMoneyPit
Topside Painter

Re: Stainless hardware on aluminum spars: nylon washers?

Post by FloatingMoneyPit »

Thanks, Rachel. I liked the tip on using plastic milk cartons. Will definitely consider that. If one can not "reduce", then at least better to "reuse" before "recycling"!
Tartan 27
Brooklyn, NY