Engine control lever, seeking opinions

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
preserved_killick
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Seagrass
Boat Type: Alberg 30

Engine control lever, seeking opinions

Post by preserved_killick »

I've got a single lever control for my vetus diesel that's seen better days. I'll need to replace it eventually so I'm looking now for options.

Any recommendations? Single or dual? Teleflex has a sinde mount single that includes: "Includes neutral warm up capability". What exactly is that?? Does this allow you to rev up the engine without coming out of neutral? I like the sound of that. My current control has some sort of a button that doesn't do anything.

-jeff
1965 Alberg 30 #116
http://picasaweb.google.com/fongemie
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Engine control lever, seeking opinions

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Your current lever sounds similar to ours. Single lever, lift an annular ring to get it out of neutral, pull a button out to disengage the shift function while revving the engine.

I'll say again, pull the button out about 1/8" to disengage. (Remember to push it in when you want to move!)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Engine control lever, seeking opinions

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I will add that our engine control is all cadmium-plated steel inside the lazarette. Perfectly reasonable for it to corrode to junk. So far, so good!

The Martec (?) two-lever control on the Morgan 27 was all aluminum and stainless and had corroded to iffi-tude. I made stainless sleeves out of rather thin stock to make up for the lack of metal due to corrosion. More or less satisfactory.