Filling a large interior hole

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

Filling a large interior hole

Post by JohnD »

I pulled out the old icebox in my triton, and before building a new one I want to cover the old hole left there. I made out a cardboard template to the size of the hole. Lets see if I can get a picture to work.

Now for the questions. How much bigger should I make the piece to cover this are, and how should I install it? 3 out of 4 of the sides are plywood, while the bottem seems to be straight fiberglass. Do I need to drill out holes and fill them with epoxy and redrill them, or do I just put a lag bolt through? If it helps, I don't forsee ever having to remove it, it will be blocked by the new icebox anyways.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Re: Filling a large interior hole

Post by Hulukupu »

It looks like you are installing a partial bulkhead. You'll want to be careful to shape the plywood where it meets the fiberglass hull so that you don't create hard spots against the hull. Leave room for a small strip of bevelled urethane foam where the bulkhead meets the hull and you can tab over it all with several layers of fiberglass tape and epoxy.
Some folks have installed collision bulkheads on Tritons. If you think that is something you might ultimately want to do, give it some thought while designing this installation.
If you're not planning on making it removable, I'm not sure where lag bolts or screws would be necessary. You can tab the whole piece in with fiberglass tape.
David
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The partial bulkhead is already there, you're just looking to close the hole, yes?
Don't overthink it.

My icebox is long gone. My corresponding closure panel is removable, and MANY are the times I've been quite thankful for this convenience.

Cut the plywood a couple of inches large to overlap what's there, give it a few coats of paint, send in a half-dozen screws, and be done.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by JohnD »

Thanks for the replys. I'm going to leave enough room to keep it off the hull, I just didn't know if there is a good reason to screw it in or to tab it in. Sounds like I can go either way. Thanks again.
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by JohnD »

Here is a picture of what I ended up with. I just used screws so that it can be removable, and it will also function as the back side of the new icebox. I need to seal it up before final install, but this gets the point across.
Hulukupu
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Mahana

Post by Hulukupu »

OK, I get the picture! It looks good.