Flickering AC Lights

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Flickering AC Lights

Post by keelbolts »

The pilot lights on the AC breakers on my friend's electrical panel continuously flicker. The DC lights burn steadily. As everything works fine and I've seen it on a number of other panels, I don't think he has a problem. Am I wrong? Is there a reason why AC pilot lights might flicker?
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Flickering AC Lights

Post by One Way David »

I'm supprised there has been no answer.

My experience with electrical circuirty is that first check grounds. Grounds and poor connections are a common, too common, problem and if an open or poor ground can be dangerous. Whether or not it is your friend's problem or not or whether the flickering is a problem (I would consider it to be a problem but I'm not all that experienced with boat circuitry) others should chime in. In my opinion, lights should not flicker unless they came on a christmas tree light string.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Use a good, digital Volt Ohm Meter and see whether the power is indeed varying. If it's not, the LED in the breaker is faulty. If it is, continue troubleshooting, starting with the marina's power. The 110v ground on the boat is back through the power cord on the dock.

One of the two 110v legs of my house power service had a poor connection and caused flickering on all power fed through that side of the panel. Since a normal AC panel is arranged so that every other breaker is on the same leg - for equalizing the load on the legs and so that two adjacent 110v breakers can be replaced with a single 220v breaker - the lights appeared to flicker randomly throughout the house.
Paulus
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Are these the old style Neon bulbs?

Or are we talking modern LEDs?

The old style (120V) Neon mini bulbs are known to flicker, especially when they get older - mainly because they draw so little current. After flickering for a while, they will eventually fail.

You can get replacements for a couple of bucks at Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062373#

Bottom line - it is NOT an indication of trouble with the system, but rather a characteristic of the little bulbs themselves.

If you're talking LED' s - then that's a whole nuther story...