Inside vs outside

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Inside vs outside

Post by Gordon »

I am getting ready to head for Cape Hatteras, does anyone have advice on whether I should take the ICW or go outside? I am in Ocean City Md now, is there a reason not to go outside? I have not passed this way yet, I am singlehanding my boat (45' sloop)

Thanks
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Re: Inside vs outside

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Hatteras is littered with shoals and wrecks for quite a ways out. How far out are you willing to go?

This time of year when its cold and blowing stink, most folks take the ICW to Beaufort, NC just below Hatteras and continue on if they want to do the outside.
There is a reason the ICW was made and Hatteras is one of them.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Hatteras is your destination (interim or final)? Routes are a subjective decision in many respects. If I were going to Florida or more south I would go outside. Well outside of Hatteras. I would stock up well and get away from land, ship wrecks and anything hard I could run into. But if you are going to some where in the Pamlico Sound it is an entirely different story. You may want to check with your insurance company on the dates for heading south. Last I recall most don't insure southern trips until November 1. Hard question to answer (give an opinion on) without more information.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

You will miss some of the best stops on the ICW by going outside...

... AND

They do not refer to this region as the 'Grave yard of the Atlantic' for nothing.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I haven't gone outside... But I have been out most of the inlets along the way. Oregon inlet isn't one I'd try on a sailboat drawing much more than 4 feet... ever time I've been out it, its rougher than a cob but those were fishing boats. Ocracoke inlet is on the verge of OK... Beaufort inlet is great unless its blowing stink out the due south.

Cape Hatteras isn't the only Cape you have to clear, on a nice day you need to be 12-15 miles off of Cape Lookout as it is one big shoal all the way out to the horizon.

Inside wise, I suggest you skip Coinjock and hit the Pamlico in the interest of speed. Alligator river is cool and it is real desolate out there... If you have a fin keel and draw more than 5 watch out for logs. I high centered my Triton... Came to a stop teeter tottering out of the water and slid back down. The owner of the tow boat service in belhaven told me once that he gets more calls in a year than Wilmington does, by almost three fold. This time of year the mosquitos are going to bleed you dry at dawn and after dark in the swamp, so bring bug spray and mosquito netting. I take a roll of fiberglass bug screen and duct tape it over the hatch, and set a box fan up on deck above it... Blow the air down over the sleeping berth and toss out the screen. There isn't much air moving a lot of nights if its hot out during the day. We'll still be having 70-80 degree days for another 3 or 4 weeks.

Take the Pamlico to the Neuse, and pop out Adams Creek following the ICW. Core sounds charts still show a little water, but you need to draft less than 2 feet to navigate it. Core sound isn't a short cut to Beaufort...

Once you hit Beaufort look me up, as thats my home port.

Cheers,

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Gorden: There is no reason to not go outside from your location if you pick your window weather right. If you do, make sure you pass Hatteras well off shore as you will be dealing with the Gulf Stream, and you may want to get to the east side of it. It might be a little iffiy to stay west of it this time of the year. Don,t know if your boat is up to it but assuming a 45 ft craft is well built you should be OK.

Having said the above, if I were in the Chesapeake Bay I would go ICW down to Morehead City then out to Florida. Draft of your 45 ft vessel would be the deciding factor to go outside from Morehead City..

Also having seen the stream located closer to Hatteras an in a very angry mood its not a pretty experience. The US Navy showed me that, but then I was in a larger vessel.

My personal experience with "going outside" a few years back was losing a mast 40 some miles off Ocracoke Island, winching it back aboard licking my wounds going thru Ocracoke Inlet and anchoring inside at Silver Lake.

So pick your window weather with care. Pon,Pons are not nice to hear.

TOM
Gordon
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Amnesty
Boat Type: 45' custom Roberts design

Post by Gordon »

OK, the ICW it is. This was a decision too important to leave to a coin toss, thank you for the advice. I am leaving Ocean City Md. Thursday morning; since I am traveling alone I won't be in a big hurry, insurance won't cover me south of Hatteras before Nov 1 anyway. This is proving to be a pretty interesting trip and it has just begun, I spent 7 years building this boat and the next plan is a circumnavigation in it! And I am flying 2 banners around the world, one is a list of folks who fell to cancer and the other is survivors; I'm not selling anything this is just the right thing to do----being on the second banner.
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

Gordon wrote:OK, the ICW it is. This was a decision too important to leave to a coin toss, thank you for the advice. I am leaving Ocean City Md. Thursday morning; since I am traveling alone I won't be in a big hurry, insurance won't cover me south of Hatteras before Nov 1 anyway. This is proving to be a pretty interesting trip and it has just begun, I spent 7 years building this boat and the next plan is a circumnavigation in it! And I am flying 2 banners around the world, one is a list of folks who fell to cancer and the other is survivors; I'm not selling anything this is just the right thing to do----being on the second banner.
Blessings to you on your voyage.

Elizabeth City, NC is a wonderful stop.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
KITTIEanME
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Greybeard
Boat Type: 1970 Kittiwake 23

Post by KITTIEanME »

Thats an excellant conservative choice Gorden, the same choice I would have made. TOM